can blepharitis heat treatment cause cataract?

Posted , 7 users are following.

important for those who use heat treatment for blapharitis, one of the reasons of cataract is changes in heat sensitive enzymes, people whose eyes are exposed to heat regularly have higher chances developing cataract (glass blowers/furnace workers), so what will happen to the ones who us hot compress to contain blepharitis symtoms?

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

use the proper microwavable bag and to their instructions . It's not that hot !!!!!

I can see where you're coming from though........no pun intended !

• Posted

The most sensible statement I've read so far regarging this ailment on this site
  • Posted

Higher summer heat is also associated with increased risk of congenital cataract, and cornea does not have temperature regulation mechanism. mircrowavable bag has to be sufficiently hot to be effective, so it will definitely increase the probability of getting cataract,
    • Posted

Most men shower in hotter water !

higher summer heat ? What higher than your bodies own temperature ?

Not here in the Uk ......lol

• Posted

I searched but couldn't find article or thread discussing it,

but, yeah, heat has something to do with cataract,

but none of those doctors who recommend heat bag , ever mention it, if got more info tell us here,

as if blephatitis wasn't bad enough,

• Posted

exposure to heat you meant?

I read about it something on web,

there were articles that mentioned a link between heat exposure and cataract,

there's something called "glass blower's cataract"

but it could be due to radiation, and develops after years of exposure

cornea definitely lacks some temperature regulator thing,

but you can always alternate between warm and cold compress,

and people keep trolling all the time, trick is to ignore them,

• Posted

So from what you've read , would you say that people with  normal everyday lives , who don't endulge in " dangerous occupations or extreme sports  " that their chances of heat exposure cataracts was unlikely ? One of my eyes can be cloudy for a day or two but then clear up for a while . I had assumed that was the bleph' being responsable .
  • Posted

Interesting question!

Bleph treatment CAN cause cataract but not from direct heat.  "Glass blower's cataract" is very rare.  It is caused by the infrared radiation from gazing into a really hot furnace.  I am an eye surgeon and have seen and treated many thousands of cataracts.  Still waiting to see my first case of "glass blower's cataract".  They are very distinctive when examined under the slit-lamp but the only examples seem to be in text books!

What may cause cataracts is prolonged treatment with steroid eye-drops and or creams. These are prescription items because they are potentially hazardous in or near the eyes.  Common names include Betnesol, Beclomethasone, Maxidex, Dexamethasone, Predsol and Prednisolone. Steroids may indeed help blepharitis but the risks include cataract, glaucoma and recurrence of dendritic corneal ulcers due to Herpes simplex (cold sores).  Patients requiring topical steroids should be regularly supervised by seeing their ophthalmologist or optometrist every 2 months or so and having the intraocular pressure measured.

Since blepharitis is a long term condition other remedies should be employed.

• Posted

Always great when someone who is professionaly involved in eye care contributes with their knowledge .

Any idea if there is much research into Bleph' going on these days ?

Regarding the glands that supply the eyeball with lub' , could you suggest any articles ( and photos ) on the web ?

• Posted

Always great when someone who is professionaly involved in eye care contributes with their knowledge .

Any idea if there is much research into Bleph' going on these days ?

Regarding the glands that supply the eyeball with lub' , could you suggest any articles ( and photos ) on the web ?

• Posted

Yes, There is lots or research.

Important to be correctly diagnosed to get the optimal treatment!

Some patient patients have an overlap of several common conditions including...

1. posterior blepharitis also known as Meibomian gland disorder, or

2. anterior blepharitis which is more like a skin condition with flakes of skin like dandruff or else

3. rosacea which is an inflammatory condition causing the skin or lid margins to look red.   Also

4. dry eye syndrome is common and lubricant drops usually contain preservatives that irritate sensitive eyes.

For more details I highly recommend the "not for profit" patient website

http://www.goodhopeeyeclinic.org.uk/blepharitis.htm

• Posted

thanks for the link , brilliant .

Any research going on looking at how a  candida build up could have an effect upon eye health / gland oil production ? I "did" the spit in the glass test and was horrified at the immediate result  ! i know it's not that scientific but it does make you think ! Bread , marmalade , ale and marmite all now off the shoppy list ! have been adding a Linseed supplement to my breakfast for a while now and am looking into the use of caprylic acid for getting a healthier gut and other issues .

again , thanks for the link .

• Posted

Hello Robert.  Thank you for the information you have given here.  I have Blepharitis  at times chronic.  I keep it well under control with the eyebag....much better than the old way I can tell you.  I've been told that I have the start of cataracts but what can  you do?.  So, whether or not the eye bag does cause cataracts, the blepharitis can not be left anyway.  I think the best way of looking at it is.  Treat your blepharitis as you should and if you just happen to get cataracts, deal with that if and when they are here.  Just one more note.  How many people in the world get cataracts and don't have blepharitis......just a thought.  

Take care Netz.

• Posted

I sent a reply about research on blepharitis (lots going on). You wanted photos about lubrication glands in the lids and articles. So I included a link to a very useful patient information database all about blepharitis and remedies written by the eye doctors at Good Hope Hospital which is near Birmingham, UK. 

Seems it is impossible to put links on this site without automatic censorship prior to "moderation". You will easily find this material if you put into the search box of your favourite browser the words "good hope eye clinic blepharitis".  Good luck.

• Posted

Well that's scarey. What can e do without hot compresses? This is a curse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.