Can burping cause severe pain in throat when swallowing?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All

As the title suggests, can frequent burping or a vigorous burp cause severe pain in the throat when swallowing?

I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and CFS/ME, and to accompany those I tend to get a lot of digestive issues, which are under investigation as suspected Crohn's Disease. The digestive issues are many nausea, bloating, burping and IBS C and D symptoms.

Anyway, yesterday I woke up and had a gnawing pain in my right shoulder and in the centre of my chest, on top of that I developed one of my burping episodes. It wasn't until just after lunch, when I produced a quite large and what's best described as a rattle type burp that came out with some urgency and force. Since then I have gradually developed a severe pain in my throat, close to the left side of my adam's apple. The pain is aggravated by movement, coughing, burping and swallowing, otherwise it doesn't hurt. It also feels like there is a lump there. Breathing seems to fine through nostrils, but a bit wheezy through my mouth. No other symptoms to report either.

Given the fact that it seems like the pain came on after a burp, do you think the strength and urgency of the burp has perhaps done some physical damage in my throat or could it be something else?

Any views and comments about this would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It is possible you might have irritated your throat if the pain came on after the burp.  Maybe try milk to soothe your throat.  If the pain continues or gets worse, see your doctor.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Pippa.

I'm pretty sure it's not a standard sore throat as the pain is localised to the left side of my adams apple, and I only feel it when I swallow, not like a normal, all over sore throat feeling. I reckon I have irritated it, whether the force of the burping has ruptured something, affected a muscle, or maybe even irritation from acid reflux. I could possibly have an infected lymph node, ever since my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and CFS I tend to be quite run down a lot of the time, and I have had inflamed and/or infected lymph nodes before. I have been feeling more run down than normal over the past few days, but I'm edging more on the side of some form of irritation.

The pain has subsided slightly, but if it hasn't gone by the time the weekend is over I'll ask the nurse if she can have a look on Monday when I have my routine blood test done.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Sore throats caused by colds can also cause pain down one side of your throat only rather than affecting your whole throat.   Sometimes the infection can affect the whole throat too.
    • Posted

The pain in my throat has totally gone this morning, very weird indeed! Surely I must have irritated a muscle, tendon or something like that??

Thanks for your comments though Pippa.

• Posted

You may have irritated your throat but since it has gone away, you can relax.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.