Can certain Hair products and certain perfume causes anxiety ? HELP

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ladies this is the strangest thing. I woke up fine this morning thank God then i decided to wash my hair. About a 30 min later i had the worst anxiety, headache, heavy legs, breathing. This also happened last Wednesday after i did a wash. Do certain products trigger symptoms ? I am new to this and need all the help i can get. Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity). It can also cause an increase in your heart rate and that can in itself cause anxiety attacks or you could be having an allergic reaction, but to answer your question with one word...YES.

• Posted

I noticed a increase in my heart rate . I was a complete mess. I will stop using herbal essence and find something natural. I am throwing out all chemicals in my home today and go but organic brands. Whatever it takes to help calm these symptoms i am for it. I never knew all of this. Thank you for your reply

• Posted

Toxic chemicals (like perfume, pesticides, and petroleum), negative emotions, stress, wi-fi, computers, electronics, cell phones, smart meters etc., can add up over time causing the nervous system to become over stimulated and this can cause anxiety. Add dropping hormones to the mixture is like adding gasoline to a fire. Adrenaline surges and storms are nasty and horrible!!! You do not want to mess with them so keep your stress level and burdens as low as possible : ).

• Posted

Maybe. I have often wondered (and suffered) the same thing. The reason why I say maybe is because I wonder if I just associate what I was doing at the time with the panic attack. For instance, I have a panic attack just after washing my hands with a lemon scented soap. Was it the soap? Or, did I have a panic attack and it just so happened to occur after I washed my hands. Better yet, did I have a panic attack in the past that I associate with the smell of lemons and the soap triggered the memory of the panic attack giving me another one. Does any of that make sense? All I can say is that I have definitely experienced this myself. I suffered a major panic attack years ago while I was using a hair styling product. I swore it was the product and didn't use it for decades. But, I was also getting ready to go to a party. So, was it really the hair product or was it more likely the thought of going to a party. You are not alone. xo

• Posted

Staci i used herbal essence and shortly after i was a complete mess. I strongly believe it is the products. This happened to me twice. I was fine this morning until i washed my hair. I believe certain products either rise estrogen or progesterone . I will never use these products again. I am going out later and i am going to buy all natural household products and hair products. I am new to this game and i am trying to learn as much as i can. Thank God for you ladies.

• Posted

I use Desert Essence hair products and Better Life cleaning products. Both are reasonably priced.

• Posted

Hey Staci, there is synthetic crap also in hand soaps. I understand your logic and it makes perfect sense because a lot of scents have the same affect on me. Smells are the most triggering thing for anyone who’s been through any type of trauma smells are the most triggering thing for anyone who’s been through any type of trauma, I know firsthand 😉 Try to use only clean products. hope you have a great day 😃

• Posted

I use A LA MAISON (coconut) hand soap from Whole Foods. Or, if I am cheap and lazy, Dr. Bronners.

• Posted

Morning Sally, I’m convinced of this. We should all be using nothing but clean products. I find that every single time I do my make up, I hot flash, like there’s a heater in my dressing room, it’s maddening. it’s because they have synthetic chemicals in them. have you also found that certain products make your head itch, this has been going on with me for a few years. I am trying to use nothing but clean products, also ditch your regular toothpaste, if it has fluoride, fluoride is not good, Google it. I only use natural toothpaste and Natural Deodorant’s. I do love to shop at Marshall’s and TJ Maxx so I do pick up once in a while a piece of make up I think I can’t Live without, until I realize it also bothers me since it’s not produced clean. I read an article that said women use so many products, that we have tons of chemicals/toxins in our bodies that shouldn’t even be there. I mean think about it, hairspray, ALL hair products, t I mean think about it, hairspray, hair product, etc. concealer, foundation, blush, and then of course there’s the crazy contouring make up, that should be illegal to be used at our age, that only looks good on Jennifer Lopez, Face primer, eyelid primer, eyebrow pencil, mascara, eyeliner, setting spray,. ,I think these are adding to our symptoms immensely. if you haven’t yet, do a swipe on your entire bathroom. also only use clean, non-toxic cleaning products, Jessica Alba has a line or the company Method. if you think of it, that soap seeps into your pores that’s probably why that happened to you a half hour later. also if no one out there is using black cohosh for your hot flashes, I strongly suggest you do. I Purchased a product that I thought had black cohosh in it and I was hot flashing all day, come to find out the product did not have black cohosh in it. I’m running out to buy a bottle as I ran out. I also was having very odd feelings, I didn’t realize how much good black Cohosh does, and I just ran out of it, I think two days ago. I mean I was even having those weird panicky thoughts that shoot through your head. you’re not alone Sally, I’m sure most women are experiencing this 😉 Have a beautiful day !

• Posted

Sally,

i have been experiencing these same symptoms and have been trying to talk to people in my family and sales people at ulta and they all look at me like i am crazy! so this blog i just ran across this morning is unbelievable and extremely helpful. i have been researching products for days and settled on Free and Clear but its not very good for styling. last night was a very bad night for my anxiety! i had tried several products during the day searching for something that would calm my body down. its literally miserable!!! i am thankful to have found this group who is suffering with this as well.

Trish

• Edited

Yes this happened to me once while using herbal essence. I was a complete mess. Anxiety, heart racing, heavy legs, breathing. Also Loreal mascara makes my eye lashes fall out. Once on the news i heard a woman in her 40's died after coloring her hair with Loreal, scared the living daylights out of me. Now i am afraid to color my hair. Now i us aussie line and no problems. household bleach products also set off my hormones. I was never like this before menopause, wishing you the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.