can CFS resolve

Posted , 5 users are following.

i just wanted your thoughts on CFS, ie can it get worse and deteriorate over time if not careful. And on the other hand can we completly recover from it, whereby its gone forever? or is it more we go into remission, but at any time we incure stress/over do things-then CFS can re occur?

​thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nichola, in my experience (over 30 years) it's your 3 rd point ie you can sail along happily for a couple of months and then something can trigger a relapse and you're floored for weeks maybe months on end. You must be careful to get the balance right between inactivity and overdoing it, but can I do it? Hmm well sometimes! Good luck!
    • Posted

thanks susie, thats what i thought. I have seriously cut back on everything, and definately feeling the benefits from it, its been a month without relapse( except few odd days here and there) so am wondering if i have maybe gone into remission, or is it too soon to say. i have had the ME for 14 years, but only recently diagnosed and changed my listyle emotionally and physically in the last few months, prior to that i would ignore my body and push through things.
  • Posted

All three suggestions are correct in my opinion Nichola.

Lifestyle changes are really important, healthy nutritious foods, plenty of filtered water, herbal teas etc and they need to be long term. Junk food would almost certainly cause us to deteriorate. We need to listen to our bodies and get enough rest, relaxation and sleep. 

I know of people who've fully recovered so that's possible but for some people it can recur so I think looking after ourselves, even if recovered is essential for life.

• Posted

your so right, i am rubbish at eating healthy, i drink far too many cups of tea as i am always so cold. i love sweets , and savoury foods, my stomach wasnt great after fruit so cut that out. i cook quick meals with homepride jars as i work full time and have a family, i have started using the philadelphia recipes and we all love those.i take berocca daily, walk 30 mins a day, and drink lots of water. I  know what i should be doing, i do need to change my dietary habits, very often i will eats chocolate, cake, or sweets for lunch n skip proper lunch, eeeks, need my hands slapping i know!! i am very slim and dont need worry about weight which really so dosnt help !!
    • Posted

It sounds like your're trying, which is the main thing. I found that over the years my diet's got healthier and healthier and I'm going to go on an anti inflammatory diet. I got the book 'Anti-Inflammatory Diet for Dummies' and from what I've read so far it's really good. There are loads of recipes. I love those Dummies books! cheesygrin
  • Posted

All of the above. People get better; people get worse; people can relapse.
  • Posted

It's likely that people with a range of different problems can end up with a diagnosis of CFS. For people who have been ill more than a couple of years it seems that a low percentage go on to recover (5% according to a meta-analysis, but the evidence wasn't great).
    • Posted

thanks, i will just have to be careful then from now on and forever, but thats fine, as long as i know not to push myself when things are good.

the thing is its my 40th in 2 years, and i was wondering about going to florida with the kids, but how would this affects me if you know what i mean. the last few times i have been away, i am usually resting all day in sun, but floored in the evening, to the point i need to be in bed at 9pm.

​also i end up with vertigo too, i have always found swimming makes me ill within few days, vertigo , feel cold. i am even cold on summer holidays in the evening.

​so am just wondering if  i can do a florida type holiday. i really dont want to give into it, but dont want to pat all that money to be floored and not able to enjoy it.

• Posted

I suffered my two worst relapses when I went on trips. The new symptoms I've had since my last relapse 2 years ago still haven't abated. I'd be very cautious about travel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.