Can Citalopram stop working

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just need a bit of advice I have been

On and off Citalopram for 8 years and had to go back on it 12 months ago after the birth of my little baby, I have been ok on it but not as good as I have been in previous times taking it

I'm on 20mg I'm just wondering as I have used it for so long can it stop being as effective ??

Not having a good day at all today !!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

How long have u been taking it this time? I think meds can loose there effectiveness after a while r u on it for depression or anxiety?
    • Posted

I started taking it on 21st October last year, I'm on it anxiety

• Posted

I was told 3 weeks ago its no longer prescribed at my surgery for anxiety they swapped me to sertraline after being in cit for yrs. i like u had been on it for a few yrs happily then had a period of stress an they upped it an i felt it made me worse back to gp an she swapped me. U have the option of increasing ur dose or trying something else?
    • Posted

And how are you feeling in the new meds, have they made a difference
  • Posted

Hi it takes time for it to work again about 3 weeks , you will stare feeling better.
  • Posted

I have been on them For nearly a year but I honestly don't think they are working the way they used to, I came off them to have my little boy and then went on then again

• Posted

Well u can either swap to another med or u can increase ur dose why do u think there not working?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.