Can colon cancer be found through ct of abdominal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Is it true that a ct scan of abdominal can find the cancer that has progressed into stage 3 Colon cancer or maybe even 2?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes it can. One of the main uses of CT scan is to see how much cancer has progressed through a patient's body (determining the stage). Though a colonoscopy will help the most in determining whether or not you have colon cancer. 

• Posted

Not trying to scare you but my primary doctor told me scans don't catch everything especially slow growing tumors if you are having scary symptoms I would ask for a colonoscopy also was told recently that scopes can only go so far the doctor is talking about a capsule endoscopy for me but I have a lot of symptoms and a pancreatic cyst

• Posted

I had stage 3 bowel cancer.  Biopsies from a colonoscopy established that the growth was cancer and a subsequent CT scan was used to pin point where it was.  So yes, CT scans can show a growth but a biopsies from a colonoscopy examination will be needed to determine whether it is malignant.
    • Posted

I had an abdominal scan for kidney stones the urologist said nothing else seen and if there was anything was with the bowel they would have mentioned it in the report. My GP wants me to have a colonoscopy due to continued bowel issues. 

Ive lost a bit of weight and my ferritin was a bit low but all other bloods were normal. Could I still have bowel cancel. I've had lots of colonoscopies over the years nothing found apart from fissures and internal haemaroids.  

• Posted

A colonoscopy can be used to look for things other than cancer, in my case it also found that I had coeliac disease.  This is a possibility if you have low ferritin levels, prior to my coeliac disease diagnosis the only symptom that I had, in retrospect, was anaemia.  Now that I am gluten free I now no longer need medication for iron deficiency.  I would suggest that you go the whole hog and have a gastroscopy examination as well because there are potential issues relating to iron absorption in the section of the small intestine in the area just after the stomach - according to the doctor carrying out the test.
    • Posted

I had a gastroscope recently didn't find anything except a 2cm hiatal hernia.

He did biopsies nothing found. Interesting he did say something about flat villi in the first part of the small intestine but no mention in his report. I haven ad blood tests fir celiacs but negative. I've had tests for so many things over the years. Still feel like crap most of the time now I'm losing weight so it's a worry. 

• Posted

Flat villi is the usual symptom of coeliac disease so it would be worth going back and asking the consultant for more information about this.  In the meantime, go on a gluten-free diet and see if you have any improvement in your symptoms.  It can take a time for any improvements to be seen so stick with the diet.  By the way, the blood test for coeliac disease is notoriously inaccurate!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.