Can crohns be diagnosed without a colonoscopy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi there, was wondering if it's possible to be diagnosed with crohns without a colonoscopy?

over the last 6 years I've had random episodes of diarrhoea with no apparent reason. sometimes it's one episode in a day then I'm fine. other times it goes on for a few days then goes away. However once or twice a year it gets really bad and I will continually have diarrhoea for at least a month. in my worst episode 4 years ago I had diarrhoea for 4 months. currently I am in a bad episode that has lasted almost 2 months and has got progressively worse over the last 3 weeks. the pain is excruciating at times, the only pain relief that helps is cocodamol. I'm taking buscopan at max dose and 20mg amytryptaline a day (which is doing nothing).

I was referred for a colonoscopy back in 2016 but they couldn't do it as my splenic flexure was too tight for the camera to go round. after the procedure my digestive system shut down, I couldn't keep anything in and I ended up in a&e as they thought my intestine might be perforated. so naturally I'm not that keen for another one, especially as they probably won't be able to get the camera round this time either.

sometimes my calprotectin level comes back high, other times ok. I'm at the end of my tether and don't know what to do.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

There is no single diagnostic test for Crohn's disease. If you show signs or symptoms of the condition, your doctor may use a variety of tests to check for it. For example, they may order blood tests, stool tests, imaging tests, colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, or tissue biopsies.

• Posted

I had symptoms but it was only diagnosed with a colonoscopy

• Posted

My symptoms are i cannot make the toilet in time. if i need a bowel movement i only get 2 min max to get to the toilet or it comes away from me . its not Diarrhoea it is formed. i have been for colonoscopy but came back clear. im at my wits end if i want to go out i can only do this if i have been to toilet. Otherwise i need to stay in . No social life whatsoever

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.