Can Crohns be missed on a CT scan ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. 

I’ll try to keep it short and simple. 

3 years abdominal pain right hand side. Started after E-Coli food poisoning

Bowel movement erratic. Sometime yellow mucus all over. 

Pain killers. Starving and laying down the only thing what relieves the pain. 

Tests: 

Endoscopies. Negative 

Colonoscopies. Negative 

CT scan. Negative. 

Appendix removed as believed it could’ve been chronic/Grumbling Appendix. 

Faecal Calprotectin raised. Normal level 50. Mine as come back 300+ on four different tests. 

I’ve eventually got to see a gastroenterologist and he’s referred me for a pill camera. But he saying that it’s highly unlikely it will show anything because the CT scan is the best test. Is this true. As I’ve read a few times that this seems the best thing to view the small intestine. But he says the CT.

I insisted on the pill cam. But now I am thinking am I wasting my time after him saying that the CT would’ve shown something. 

Any advice or pass similar experiences. 

Thank you 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Pill cam can see things yes, it cannot however take a biopsy to see the cause

300 is not a massive elevation in fcp and they are looking or have, raised the thresholds

Wish you well 

• Posted

Forgot to say the ppi if you’re still taking them can elevate fcp 
  • Posted

Hi Chris

my situation was similar to yours and went on for several years, I’d had all the tests you’ve had which came back negative .... until I had the pill cam that is. The pill cam as you know travels your entire small bowel taking pictures it can therefore pick up smaller areas of ulceration missed on CT etc. I had several patches through my small bowel and quite a significant amount in my terminal ilium which was enough to make the diagnosis and in theory should have been picked up on CT. I’ve had Crohn’s diagnosis since my first pill cam and now it’s my go to test when things are bad because for some reason my Crohn’s doesn’t show up well on scans. 

Good luck, don’t be disheartened this could be the beginning of your recovery. Keep us posted

💟

• Posted

Hi Chris

27 years ago I had ALL tests available CT scan, colonoscopy, barium enema, barium meal, gastroscopy......blood tests etc. All came back negative. 

In the end they had to perform an emergency laporotomy as I was dying!!!.........it was severe Crohn's in the terminal Ileum that had caused a massive fibrotic stricture.  I had been under investigation for 5 years prior to this occurrence with no positive results. 

My point, have the pillcam test. 

And perhaps in the meantime research the LOFFLEX diet and give it go.  It may at the very least enable you to ease symptoms. 

I hope you get some answers soon. There is nothing worse than being really poorly and not knowing what is wrong. It completely messes with your head and your life generally. 

Best of luck

Hannah

• Posted

Hi Chris, I had years of being discharged with IBS until the tests started to more clearly show possible Crohns. CT is 360 ultrasound and doesn't give the same view as seeing inside. The pill cam gave me a diagnosis of Crohns as endoscopy and colonoscopy don't make it all the way around. Good luck. Matt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.