Can depression cause anger/aggressive outbursts?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Before I start I'll admit that I do have a bit of a temper and have been known to have outbursts (slamming doors etc) when I get angry however these were mostly when I was young and a teenager and so you could argue that It was the hormones etc etc since I've not done anything like it in a good few years.

Tonight though, I lost it. Over something so silly. My boyfriend and I were ordering a takeaway. However I accidental ordered from the wrong one (I did it online) when it came to our realisation I got so angry with myself and ended up having a huge outburst. I've been feeling angry (for no real reason) for a couple of days now and I'm not sure if this was it all just coming to a head. My boyfriend felt I aw blaming him (which I certainly wasn't) and told me numerous times that it was my own fault and there's nothing that we can do if I refuse to cancel I and that I need to learn how to use the phone- I have a phobia of speaking on the phone and so did to want to phone them up to cancel (there was no option to do it online). I can't even really remember what was said but I said some pretty mean stuff. He persistently told me that I was my fault and that it's no big deal and just need to cancel it, again that I need to use the phone and I didn't know how to respond bar simply shouting. I remember telling him to F off and then storming out the room to the nearest place, the bathroom. Where I proceeded to try and cry- I felt I needed to, I felt the emotion boiling up inside of me but no tears where coming.

Im not sure what's happened to me the last 6-12 months. It seems something in my mind is clouding my rational emotions and responses and makes me react to things in the wrong way- crying/sad/angry etc. I constantly feel blamed and that everyone's against me. Particularly tonight, I felt my boyfriend was against me and angry at me when I know now looking at it rationally he wasn't. 

I'm say here feeling terrible. I've of course apologised profusely to him and he's said not to worry but I just feel crap, frankly. I seem to be becoming unpredictable and I had a thought just after it- driving to pick up our takeaway and just crashing into a tree since we live in the country. I'm

Not sure if that's classed as a suicidal thought or what but I've never thought like that before- and the horrible thing is I believed that if I did crash it probably would be for the best, that it wouldn't have much affect on anyone.

I went to the doctors a few days ago and she told me that I just have a case of low self esteem and negative thinking. But I'm not convinced. I'm not sure what's wrong, whether I have depression or something else.

But can depression cause something like that? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I also feel incredibly guilty as we have had a history of arguing quite a bit- but we had gotten through it and things we looking up the past 18 months and now I feel like I could have potentially set us back. 
  • Posted

make an appointment with a councellor or something and sit and tell them what you tried to do
  • Posted

I have the same sort of responses when I'm stressed/exhausted too.. Like the rage meter just fills instantly - out of nowhere. I throw things, slam doors, kick things out of my way.. I am terrible, it's horrid. I always feel so ashamed and embarressed after it happens but at the time I feel as though I have no control over the words leaving my mouth (which are utterly horrible) or the actions, I just want to destroy everything.

I really think it is a lot to do with the feelings inside, to see destruction is to see what our feelings must be like..

I also used to self-harm and once I had stopped (around the age of 18) is when I started to get incredibly angry outbursts where I would literally be uncontrollable until I'd start to cry.. Then I would inconsolable.. I'll cry myself into exhaustion then fall asleep.. Feeling terrible..

I'm sorry I can't offer any help, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone..

• Posted

I believe this is hormonal, I know so many people like yourself including my daughter in law and daughter,and myself.

My daughter in law took the brave step of a total hysterectomy and low and behold she is as calm as a cucumber now,never fased,no headaches etc etc.

You need to visit proffessor Studd it may be one D i cant be sure,Pay for an appointment and you wont be sorry.

You can test the theary by having your hormones closed down for about three months then you know if this is the cause,that is what my daughter inlaw tried first.

Go see this man for a consultation its worth every penny and very enlightening and could change your life for good.

• Posted

In answer to your question, quite simply yes as I believe depression is an avoidance of deep rooted anger, this is of course a simplistic statement and not intended to devalue anything that is going on for u, all I can say is look to your deeper anxietys, it lies somewhere, it's up to u and possibly the help of a councillor to find out where. Thoughts are with u xxxx 
  • Posted

I believe this is hormonal, I know so many people like yourself including my daughter in law and daughter,and myself.

My daughter in law took the brave step of a total hysterectomy and low and behold she is as calm as a cucumber now,never fased,no headaches etc etc.

You need to visit proffessor Studd it may be one D i cant be sure,Pay for an appointment and you wont be sorry.

You can test the theary by having your hormones closed down for about three months then you know if this is the cause,that is what my daughter inlaw tried first.

Go see this man for a consultation its worth every penny and very enlightening and could change your life for good.

• Posted

Hi, Yes depression can cause it, but there could be other reasons.  Have you been checked for diabetes?  When my husband hadn't taken his insulin, he was more likely to have angry outburts.  You could get it checked easily and if you're not diabetic, at least that's one thing you can cross off.

Don't feel too down on yourself.  At least it sounds like your partner is supportive and that can really be helpful.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you all for taking time to reply. I will make an appointment to rule out any medical conditions (diabetes) etc and to get a second opinion either this is mild depression rather than just a case if lie self esteem. 

Thanks again, it reassuring to know I'm not the only one!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.