Can Depression make your head feel weird?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I posted about this a couple days ago in the headache section but now after a recent doctors visit I am told my symptoms are due to depression/anxiety. Has anyone ever experienced a weird feeling in their head that is very hard to describe?

Im never in pain and dont really feel pressure. Im not dizzy or off balance although sometimes it almost feels like I am but I never actually lose my balance. Sometimes throughout the day it gets worse and its a very heavy feeling. Seems to get a little better with exercise but never fully goes away. It is there 24/7 and I have had it for a month. Blood/Neurological/Hearing tests were all normal. I was presrcibed Zoloft but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar before I started taking the meds.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi BJohn, I am sorry you are experiencing this head issue and know exactly what you are talking about. I suffered from depression/anxiety for years. Depression and Anxiety tend to go hand in hand. The weird feeling that I used to get felt as if the blood was rushing into my head. Out of nowhere, it literally felt as if my pressure was soaring and I was going to have a stroke. I went to many doctors and they found nothing wrong with me. It was then that my therapist mentioned that it was probably due to my emotions and not anything physical. Once I was no longer afraid, it subsided a little bit each day.

I hope this helps you BJohn. If you ever want to chat feel free to contact me. I am here if needed.

Take care and God Bless.

PS-When I was first given zoloft, it made me very sleepy initially. Then when I got used to it, I felt fine. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case this happens.

• Posted

Thank you Andi! I really appreciate it

• Posted

Hi BJohn . . . I used to get that wierd feeling in my head when I was younger and it's very hard to describe. It lasted for years and it used to scare me and make me think I had a brain tumor or something but now I understand it was due to my depression/bipolar disease probably.

I don't think you have anything to worry about - at least I didnt.

Best luck to you and please know that eventually that feeling won't happen anymore.

• Posted

Hello Diane,

Thats exactly what I'm afraid of. Im ready for it to stop already. Did it takes years for it to go away even though you were on meds? or did it take years for you to figure out what was causing it?

• Posted

Well it was so long ago but I think it probably came and went for a couple years before it went away permanently - I'm guessing 2 years but it wasnt there all the time, just occasionally. It's just scary but I truly dont think you have to be afraid of it - just try to tolerate it and maybe tell anyone medical that you see. I wasn't on any medications at that time because I wasn't diagnosed yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.