can depression ruin your sex life?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all,

Rocky from India,

I have been suffering from Major depressive order. How far is that true that depression can ruin your sex life?

The patients who are taking medicines, i have heard on forums that they are facing low libido and delay in ejaculation(60-70 minutes).

I am unmarried, fear that OCD, IBS and major depressive order can ruin my sex life in future?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Depression can make you feel low and lacking in motivation and you may not feel like sex. Medications have many side effects and some can cause lack of libido. I am not aware that IBS or OCD can cause lack of sex drive. Can you visit your GP or pharmacy for advice about your medications. I am not sure how the system works in India as regards GP's. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth. 

• Posted

Rocky.   Elizabeth is spot on with her comments about how depression and anxiety etc., can make you feel low and demotivated and you can lose interest in sex altogether and that some medications prescribed for depression and anxiety (particularly SSRIs) can cause both a lack of libido and an inability to reach orgasm.  They're two separate issues.  Medications can lift your spirits and revive your interest but then have the side effect mentioned above. With regard to the OCD and IBS, they may or may not affect your sex life depending on how they impact your actions.    IBS I dont think has any effect on desire but if you're in pain with it then of course that may affect you physically.  OCD symptoms vary from person to person, the routines you feel compelled to follow may interfere with the process of sex but as far as I know it doesn't affect either your desire or your ability.  Again, as Elizabeth has said, these are matters you need to discuss with your family doctor or counsellor.
    • Posted

Hi Loxie, thanks, you have explained it in more detail than i did so hopefully Rocky will understand what we are saying.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Rocky,

I think your mood ( with or without the medication ) is what matters. As I guy I totally get your concern. All I will say is I have not found delays to ejaculation at all, and if your in the mood then nature will take its natural course.

If the Anti Depressant is lifting your mood then you shouldn't have any problems, and if you do you can talk to your GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.