Can diabetes insipidus cause weight gain?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Central DI 30 years ago, but it likely onset as a result of a childhood head injury 50 years ago. I've struggled with weight all my life. My pituitary problem also extends to the other hemisphere and I have reduced production of both vasopressin and testosterone. Even with exercise, I struggle to build muscle tone and weight gain and it seems to be escalating. Is anyone aware of a connection?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Not many of us around. I was diagnosed

With central DI at age 6. I’m now 72.  Its cause was also thought to be traumatic but I have my doubts because it was so minor. Another child jumped on my neck in a playground setting.  I had  a stiff neck for a week or so. Enough to see a doctor though. I think it might be genetic although no one in my family has ever had it. 

Personally have never had weight issues. Just fortunate. Was always thin and probably underweight as a kid. Still thin as an older adult so far. 

Never have had any issues with testosterone levels or muscle tone either. 

But that’s just me.  Don’t really know anyone else with this condition.

Was treated with

Vasopressin injections as a child into

Young adulthood supplemented with

Various nasal sprays. Eventually was put on Diabinese(Chlorpropamide) around age 30. Been on it ever since with excellent control. 

All the best

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.