Can digestive enzymes make you feel sick?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys so I'm not sure if anyone has seen me comment here but anywho to give the quick run down, I had my gallbladder removed in august. After a couple of weeks I started having some digestion issues. So yesterday I started to take some digestive enzymes as they were reccomended. I felt fine after but then felt a little sick later in the evening. Like nauseous and got some chills like I was getting a cold? Has this happened to anyone with digestive enzymes or probiotics? I took one this morning as well and feel a little sick again. I won't take these anymore actually as I think this is what's causing me to feel ill. Can digestive enzymes even cause these side effects?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hiya deesan

Ive had probiotics off and on since I had mine out and havent felt ill, everyone is different and results vary from person to person.

When do you take the enzymes as in before or after a meal?

If you take it before a meal that could be causing it as they work almost instantly so there wouldnt be any food to help digest yet, also without a gall bladder our bodies wirk much slower so by the time your meal makes it to your stomach the enzymes have had loads of time to upset yr stomach- just a thought.

If its not that then I would see what your eating as that could be the cause sometimes. Failing that you need to go back to to your gp

I take vitamin supplements which help me with nutrients to aid digestion.

Hope you get it sorted soon x

• Posted

Which brand multi vitamins do you take? I used to take the gummy ones but ran out so I would have to get more.

But to answer your question, in the directions it says to take one before starting to eat your meal, then proceed to eating or sprinkle it on your food. I decided to sprinkle it on my food. So basically I did have it with food? 🤔

• Posted

I take the wellwoman ones from holland and barretts as it gives most of what our bodies dont naturally produce anymore.

Maybe the dosage your taking could be too high- could you reduce how much you sprinkle on you food?

• Posted

Yes, digestive enzymes can upset the stomach. I take them to help me NOT feel nauseaous the next day. They work to help break down your food. I take a brand that is a capsule. The capsule itself is enteric coated. An enteric coating on a pill is meant to help the pill pass through your stomach and not dissolve until it gets into the upper intestines.  Probiotics and enzymes vary from brand to brand. Try looking for a different product and try to find one that has an enteric coating. It is the only kind I can take.
    • Posted

What are the ones you take called?
    • Posted

The say source natural daily essential enzymes. Had good reviews online which is why I purchased them. And I only take one and I don't even sprinkle all of it but yeah. I was feeling fine prior to taking these so I think it might be this.

• Posted

So you think it did upset my stomach then right? That's what I was assuming. I mean I just felt sick suddenly. I really wanted them to work though because I feel not so good after eating my meals sad. So I thought they would help me. Should I just give them a go again and see if my body eventually just gets used to them?

• Posted

Hi; . . . . . .Tried to post yesterday, and they thought I posted a link. I didn't mean to. Anyway, I have used enzymes and probiotics for over 12 yrs since I have been living with IBS for a long time. But prior to the gallstones diagnoses, I had gotten lazy with not ALWAYS taking them. I started to be more observant and consistent because it really does help my digestion problems. The brand of enzymes may not be as important as making sure that you get the right enzymes in your pill. My doctor got me on them those years before, and told me what to look for. So you need to be a label reader now, if you weren't before.

So, you want to make sure you have something that has the following types of enzymes: 1) protease - to break down proteins, 2) lipase - fats, 3) lactase - sugars;  I have one that also has 4) amylase - carbohydrates, and 5) cellulase - fiber. I have found that the directions are VERY important for the way to take these. Drink a lot of water with it. Make sure that you DO eat something with it. I don't necessarily have a whole meal. I like to take it not long before bed, so I have it with some cheese and crackers or yogurt and fruit. That kind of thing. But I do have food with it.

I also think that the probiotics are very helpful. A lot of stores sell all kinds of pre-prepared all in one "probiotic". The kind that I buy are from a health food type of store. They are expensive.  These newer marketed store brands might be just fine. I started taking them before every store had them in a gummy chew. But that is why I say learn to read labels. Find out what is in the kind you are taking or want to take. I take a capsule that is called a multidophilus capsule. So, that means that there are different strains of bacteria that are being included. These are important for what you want in a probiotic too. So, you know that yogurt has acidophilus. And that might be the main one anyway. But there should be others that will help you since your body needs extra help now. The following strains are the ones I think are the most important. 1 - B. lactis, 2 - B. bifidum, 3 - L. acidophilus, 4 - L. bulgaricus, 5 - L. paracasei, 6 - Streptococcus thermophilus. Mine has several others too. That is fine. But you can sometimes pick a type that doesn't just have "everything and the kitchen sink" too.  And sometimes that is less money. My brand is in a enteric coated capsule. But I am sure that it makes it more expensive.

In my experience, if your stomach is sensitive, you won't get used to it. But I also take a stomach medication. My doctor has me take zantac, or generically called ranitidine. You can buy it over the counter now. Or ask your dr. if they think it might help you. It definitely does help me. AND it helps with the problematic digestion. But it makes it possible for me to take other medications that I need to take too.There is another over the counter digestive aid that I take too. Simethicone is the active ingredient in storebrand versions of phazyme, or gas-x. You can take one with each dose of the other capsule and it helps to break up gas in your stomach and intestinal tract. It is fairly innocuous and has a specific mission. The production of gas is usually what causes that stomach and gut pain from eating certain foods or taking certain meds.

So there is my homespun wisdom (if it is :-/). I hope it helps you some.

• Posted

Hi I am just starting digestive enzymes,My gastroenterologist recommended them.

Ill let you know after a few days if i feel anything different

• Posted

Thanks Debra! Are they working? How do you feel? Let me know smile

• Posted

Im having issues, just had ultrasound shows nothing pertaining to gallbladder or pancreas. Also results from blood test shows nothing. But still pain on upper right and lower left. Nutritionist started me on Broad Spectrum Digestive Enzymes. Last night was first time ..I took last night and terribly nauseous and chills for almost 4 hours. Now IM VERY concerned about taking anymore...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.