can dizziness be a symptom of alcohol withdraw

Posted , 6 users are following.

Having had gastroenteritis I have now not had a drink for 5 days.  And I am really pleased about that and want to make it a start to getting my drinking well under control. (1-2 bottles of wine a day).  I have had no obvious withdrawal symptoms but I am feeling quite dizzy and my head is swimming all the time and I feel exhausted.  Could this just be post infection or could it be withdrawal?  Any ideas anyone?  Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there h1954 it's more likely a combination of sickness and withdrawing from alcohol check out your blood sugar as it might have dropped you can do that with a doctor or self test by wasting something sugary to see if the dizziness subsides as you probably havnt been eating very much take care and rest 😊

• Posted

Eating! Not wasting 🙄 

• Posted

hey thanks that's a good point - I've not been eating or drinking anything sugary at all - I'll give that a go tomorrow

• Posted

Great! My blood sugar was really low (2) after gastroenteritis due to lack of food and alcohol and as soon as the hospital gave me sugar drinks it came back to the norm! Wishing you well 
  • Posted

Hiya

Five days without a drink is great, whether intentional or not. If you’re recovering from gastroenteritis then you’ve not been eating. You’re bound to feel light headed and exhausted.

I would agree that lack of food, combined with no alcohol, is the reason for feeling like you do. I’m sure that gradually introducing food will make you feel much better. Plenty of fluids and nutritious soup will help.

You just need to be aware that as you start to feel better physically, don’t give in and start drinking again. Yes I know that’s easier said than done.

The first few days without alcohol are the worst, so you’ve done really well. I’m no medic, but from experience, I’d say you’re unlikely to suffer any withdrawal symptoms now.

?Good luck and try to avoid the temptation of having “just the odd drink!!”

• Posted

I had exactly the same last weekend but there is a virus going about with similar symptoms to alcohol withdrawal
  • Posted

Food, biscuits and sugary drinks should work. Later lots of water, regular snacks and food. Sleeping will improve but takes time. Great that you are trying!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.