Can DNA tests determine if the cancer is high risk?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 57 and my PSA was almost 6 when I had a biopsy.  The Gleason score came back a 7 (3+4).  My Urologist sent me to talk to the Radiologist and to the Surgeon to help me make the next steps.  I asked the Radiologist about getting a DNA test on the cancer to determine if it was an aggressive type and he said the results would be a guess at this point in time. (year 2016)  Maybe in 5 years or 10 years they'd know more, but they don't have enough DNA data to know aggressive from not.  I did ask the Urologist for that test and the results came back "High Risk" and a score of 75 of 100.  The Urologist accepted it as fact.  So why does the Radiologist think the test of no use and the Urologist think it fact?  BTW, the surgeon says remove the prostate immediately. He has done 1000's.  7 of 12 core samples had cancer, no doubt that I have cancer,  and if he does a radical prostatectomy prior to symptoms, then the results are far better than after experiencing symptoms.  What to do?

0 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

lab tests alone cannot provide a definitive diagnosis of cancer or for that matter, other diseases.
    • Posted

Hello Barney, will try to find out why they thought a MRI was not needed.  Going back Wednesday to have the catheter removed, will ask then. 
    • Posted

Thank God everything went okay I get my catheter taken out tomorrow 9:15
    • Posted

Mine went well for a couple things I was very very gassy this is day number 10 and I'm just about over with the gas I have really took me for a loop also I was very hard to pass a bowel movement I finally passed one today good luck with yours and mines will be taking out tomorrow that is the catheter

• Posted

You mean you pulled out your own catheter without the doctor while you're tough guy

• Posted

Hi Greg, I think you meant to send that comment to me. (Let me know if I'm wrong about that.)

The doctor who performed the HIFU procedure is in another state so I was instructed to pull the catheter out after 7 days (and was shown how to perform the procedure myself). It was all planned. My HIFU experience is well documented on this forum from the days before my procedure, minutes after I wake up, and all through the recovery. But for convenience, I have reposted the experience of pulling out the catheter below. Just remember as you read it, I have been living with the catheter for 7 long days and this is my first experience taking out a catheter. I tried (in my day to day posts) to keep it somewhat humorous)...

I have my penis back! (I never really lost it but it was being held hostage by my catheter). Pulled the catheter out just minutes ago.

I could hardly wait for this day. Yet when the moment arrived, there was certainly some apprehension and a few questions running through my mind. Would it slide out easily? What if some of the skin had dried to the tube and it was stuck? Is it going to come out or will the next few moments end up in an embarrassing trip to the hospital or GP?

Apparently this was one of those husband/wife moments as my wife wanted to watch. I was fine with that as she has been by my side and really had gone through this as much as I have.

So I'm standing in the shower (water not running) and I push on the tubing to see if it felt stuck at all. It seemed ok so I grabbed the scissors and cut the tube which was holding the balloon inflated in my bladder. Just like they said, water came out the end. I remember watching a video that said wait 30 seconds to allow the bubble to fully drain. Not sure I actually waited that long or not. Gave the tube a slight pull and there was some pain and more fluid comes out the tube. I'm thinking...Crap, maybe I didn't wait long enough! What do I do now, push it back in? Am I going to damage my urethra if the balloon isn't totally deflated and I keep pulling it out? (I really wasn't thinking logically). So very, very, very slowly I keep pulling. Pain is about 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. I pause for a second or two and then resume. At a slow steady pace I continue to extract the catheter. I start to feel like I need to pee. Then I could feel what seemed like the end of the tube. A second later it was out! In my hand I'm holding this "thing". This foreign object that has been plaguing me all week. My first thought is...KILL IT!!!

• Posted

I've looked at that tube and I must be missing something.  Is it possibly a double wall tube?  I mean how does cutting the fube release the water ball if it's not a double wall tube?  But I don't see a double wall.  I do see a tiny silver thread, but that's too small for water to flow through.  I'm gonna have to google this b/c I have been curious how to release the water balloon. Not that I'm going to do it but just wondering.

• Posted

Just do a search on the internet on removing a Foley catheter. Several videos should pop up. I was given instructions right after my procedure but I watched a couple videos before I actually did it. In a way, I'm glad I did it myself as it gave me full control over the situation and I was able to control the pain level as I was pulling it out. The slower you go (and a brief pause) made it a non-issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.