Can ETD be this bad?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went to the urgent care months ago and was diagnosed with ETD. I had on and off symptoms over the past 5 years but now it is just very steady. For some reason I think it has to do more with anxiety, but even when im not anxious I still feel the same. My biggest symptom is imbalance while walking and dizziness spells, especially in the mornings and worse with head movements. I tend to get better as the day progresses somehow. If I tilt my head down I feel this pressure as if I was diving in a pool. At the time I had ear fullness and pain in one ear, since gone. A couple of months after the urgent care visit I started feeling muscle weakness and general fatigue. I've had depression ever since. Can all of this be related to ETD? And what can I do to get rid of the imbalance? 

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Dear Ralph,IN short ------NOWT as we say in Yorkshire.Anywhere else NOTHING,ZILCH.
  • Posted

Dont give up hope. Ignore people who say there's nothing to be done. I know its a tall task and costly, but find a Doctor who listens and is trustworthy. Understand how your ear works. Is it the middle ear or inner ear? What happens when you pop your ears? What happens when you hold your nose and swallow? If your ear pop and or pull in, you might be looking at an inner ear issue. If you enjoy dairy, nicotine, alcohol, or caffeine, give it a rest. Stay hydrated. You can experiment with over the counter medication. Sudafed or Claritin D combined with Nasacort may be effective. Do the research yourself, understand how each drug works. Claritin D will be rough the first go round but it will improve. Stick with the 12 hour version.  Don't take Sudafed or Claritin D near bed time. If you try Nasacort, consider coating your nostrils with Vaseline or Waxelene. 

If you have any questions you are welcome to ask. You will see a lot of posts on here about ETD and note that many  symptoms are falling under the same category.

Eustachian tube dysfunction is more accurately defined as failure of the functional valve of the eustachian tube to open and/or close properly. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.