Can fibroids cause peri menopausal symptoms?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all,

I have been experiencing night sweats a few days before my period for years but in the past 6 months the night sweats are now occurring 3 to 4 times a week. This was accompanied by erratic mood swings, constant fatigue, extremely heavy periods, flooding and clots. I have also recently started feeling a heaviness and tenderness in my abdomen and find it hard to walk a couple of days a month. I am 44 and have been on tranxenamenic acid for years which helps and started anti depressants in January as I was finding it very difficult to cope and felt like I was going mad.

I went to the doctor as I suspected perimenopause and he initially agreed. I went for a scan and found out I have multiple fibroids. Doctors are suggesting a hysterectomy and said the night sweats etc might go when fibroids are removed.

How do I know if my symptoms are caused by fibroids or if I am premenopausal?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi angel

If it was my decision, and my GP suggested a hysterectomy, I'd probably go with the flow.  I don't think I would miss my womb; wouldn't want any more issues developing with it etc etc.  But then I am 54, 10yrs older than you.

So I wonder if your personal situation would benefit from an alternative procedure, such as that which one of my sister's had?  She had big fibroids and had a procedure called a Uterine Ablation. This took away the fibroids and the uterine lining and, in her case, illiminated the need for a hysterectomy.  She had that in her late 40s/early 50s and had no problems at all after this. She's now 62 and has been taking HRT for 7yrs.

I also worked with someone who's aunt was due to have a last consultation with the gynae before her hysterectomy.  I told her to mention this procedure to discuss with her gynae. Long-story-short: she ended up having this op and she too no longer needed a hysterectomy!!!

I used tranexamic acid for years to help with really heavy/clotted bleeding, but mine was caused largely by my IUD (always had one: the old Copper Mini rather than the hormone-releasing Mirena: stupid GP couldn't fit it in me grrrrrfrown!). Great stuff. 

You menion all your symptoms, that to my untrained eye look/sound remarkably like Peri symptoms.  I had lots of those same symptoms for donkey's years, so I think I may well have been in my own personal Peri Journey for a good few years now. But my symptoms were caught up in some terribly stressful situations: 3 very close bereavements; running a Business; negotiating and selling Business/Family home of 22yrs. So I'm hoping all the insomnia; fretting; panicking; over-breathing; sweating; confusion/poor concentration; over-sensitivity etc etc were more connected to my early Per.........and hopefully I'm over the worse ha ha!!!lol (Hold on: was that a pig I just saw flying.....?!!)

I completely sympathise with you with all the crap you're experiencing, and of course its not great when you're having to cope with excessive bleeding too.

I think this is a very personal decision that you'll have to make.  But I thought it worth mentioning the U/Ablation in case this could be an alternative to you. (Its less invasive, much quicker recover time etc). Obviously like any surgery it comes with its downsides, so I'd advise you having a good read about this procedure to see if it appeals to you, then if you feel inclined, have a chat with your GP about it - of the gynae if you've been given a referral. 

Like a few others who have replied, I wasn't quite convinced about the night sweats going at the same time as you kiss your fibroids goodbye. I thought - wrongly or rightly: come on ladies, correct me if I'm wronglol - that if you were to have a hysterectomy, this would bring on a 'medically-induced Menopause', whatever your age.  I'm just not so sure that the sweats would go........confused! confused!

Keep us posted - you know we're all really interested in how things go for each othersmile!

• Posted

Thanks for the encouraging post.

I have been looking at alternatives but when I read about ablation I thought the literature said it wasn't suitable if you have fibroids but since you know people who've had it done I'll definitely ask doctor about it. I also thought about embolisation.

I have an appt in a few weeks and really wanted to be armed with some info before the railroad me into a decision I am not ready for. I am not attached to my womb, I have already had my family but would like less invasive procedures if possible.

I have already changed my mind 5 times in 5 weeks about which procedure I would like so ...

Today I decided to try more natural methods first to see if there is any improvement and if I can live with the symptoms with a little help.

I will definitely keep you posted and hope you all do the same.

• Posted

Hey angel368,

Good on you for keeping your chin up. And EXCELLENT to get as much info as you can. I have read about ablation too, I think it looks like an excellent procedure, and I have read that afterwards quite a few women don't get periods. So it might solve a lot of your problems.

I had night sweats and didn't sleep well last night. So there are no miracles. I think I overdid it yesterday. 

• Posted

Morning Jennifer,

Sorry to hear you didn't sleep well last night. I was slightly damp this morning, but I needed to get up early to get on with some work due tomorrow, so I guess it has its purpose at times.

Hope you have a good day and get some relaxation and rest.

• Posted

Yeah, Jennifer, you're right. My sister's heavy flooding completely stopped, as did her Periods by and large.

Completely understand angel's ever-changing mind on this: easy for me to cope with the aftermath of a hyst'y now I'm a 'lady (very loose terms!) of leisure', but for anyone working, or self-employed = not so great.

I know that being self-employed for 22ys kept me 'healthy' - couldn't afford to get ill. Just glad when I sold it 18mths ago, any untreated ailments didn't come back to bite me on the bum! (seriously: I'm fortunate not to have ever been ill and aside from my Peri symptoms, I'm still feeling great, thanks to inheriting my ol' mum's 'Get on with It'-attitude).:-)

Truth be told: faced with the same scenario, I'd probably go for the quickest means of stopping the flooding, as that in itself is so debilitating.

Sx

• Posted

Hi angel368,

I know this is from a long time ago but I was hoping you could let me know what the end result was.

I'm 42 and having extremely terrible night sweats for 2 months now . I was told few weeks ago I have a fibroid size of a softball , many polyps and a double the thickness uterian lining. I have to get a hysterograohy next week but I just curious what ended up happen with you situation , because it sound similar to mine.

To add i have also been having these terrible itchy patches that I scatch till they are bleeding .

If there is any info you can provide to your out come that would be greatly appreciated.

Diane

• Posted

Hello Diane,

Well I opted for uterine fibroid embolisation and had the procedure in September. Most of my symptoms went away (flooding, clotting, pain and pressure). I only use 1 pad at a time instead of using 4 and changing every hour or two. So I am extremely relieved and pleased with the outcome. The fatigue and night sweats are a lot better but still present at times. I chart the occurrences and noticed it is cyclical, a few days before my period is due. I don't have to change my pyjamas during the night anymore, I just feel hot/damp between breasts only.

So it seems the majority of the symptoms were being caused by the fibroids and they also made the other symptoms more exaggerated. Fibroids cause your body to do a lot of extra work and can cause a wide range of symptoms.

I had a FSH test done and I am peri menopausal (measurement of 17), but I feel much better now than I felt in the 4 years before my procedure, and at the moment I feel more able to manage the few symptoms remaining.

Don't give up until you find the right procedure for you. It is a wonderful feeling not to be ruled by your periods,hormones and body. I hope you will be able to be free of your symptoms soon. Let me know how you are getting on.

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding after all this time. I just have never been a " crazy person " over this stuff. But this has gotten me a little nutty. Your responds is much appreciated! Glad all is going on with you now!!
  • Posted

Fibroids can  cause heavy irregular bleeding (even small ones) and fibroids are caused sometimes by hormonal imbalances that you would see during perimenopause. I would not have surgery, it's really part of the natural process. I would have your iron checked sometimes by a doctor and your blood volume (to make sure your not losing to much). You can read about ways to help reduce fibroids naturally. Even if you are diagnosed with something from a pathologist they tend to take a conservative approach with woman can be misdiagnosed and lead to unnecessary procedures or invasive testing (putting you under anesthesia etc).Before I would let a doctor do anything to me I would google the best hospitals in the United States for this kind of care you may have one near you. It was 6 1/2 hours away for me and in network. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.