Can food affect me condition

Posted , 7 users are following.

Is it possible some food can affect pmr? I'm now down to 10 mg per day from 20mg this time last year. Some days I'm great very little or no pain/stiffness in the morning then other days it's really bad. I'm wondering if it's related to what I've eaten during the day?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Keep a diary - some people find too much sugar or alcohol makes the inflammation and so their symptoms worse but everyone is different, nothing really seems to make a difference to me for example.

What is equally possible is that you do more on the "good" days - and that will lead to pay back in the following day or two, sure as eggs is eggs!

PACING!!!!!

• Posted

I think it can be, depending on your own diet and sensitivities.  I certainly feel I've done much better since drastically cutting refined carbs, but I still have some.  Anmd some people find that certain anti-inflammatory foods, like ginger or turmeric, are helpful.  I like to have a cup of ginger tea every evening (made with grated fresh ginger) and I really do think it helps me get through the night and I feel better in the morning.  But on the other hand, I think daily activity has a greater impact on PMR.

• Posted

Whatever we eat has influence on the way we feel, yes it has.

Some days we feel better than others though even following the same diet.

It means that the root cause - the inflammation is present.

Good question, Alan!

iellen

• Posted

This is very true.  We are waht we eat!
    • Posted

oops - what - once again I wish for an edit button.  Not even for the first time today.....
  • Posted

I don't know the answer Alan, but I hope you get other posts because its a question I've wondered about myself.  Maybe nobody knows;  PMR is not well studied.  Better nutrition can't hurt though.

• Posted

I have found that anything that causes inflammation, adds to the auto-immune disease's inflamation. Many foods cause inflamation for me. Know how I can tell? I weigh 5 lbs more the next day. All dairy, except butter, which is all fat, causes me to itch and bloat the next day. Sugar in any form does that for most people, they just don't know it until the try to withdraw from it. Anything that you eat can be the trigger or a whole mix of foods can do it. You can do an elimination diet to see what your trigger foods are. Just Google it. Then, just like osteoarthritis, weather changes can cause inflamation which results in pain, especially in the joints. Overuse of muscles and joints can cause pain.  Why? because of inflamation. My shoulders have never bothered me in all my 70 years. I have never broken a bone, but, I've been allergic to everything that is grown, it seems. I am walking inflamation. Not good for the heart, I hear. Now, I've added PMR and the auto-immune disease underlying the symptoms...yup, inflamation of the joint fluid, to all the other inflamation I have and the Dr. says, "get off that prednisone". I find I feel at my best, with this disease, when I stick to a very low carb diet, which actually eliminates most, if not all, of the inflamatory-causing foods in my diet. It's like night and day, so I know it works for me. My brain clears up, too. I can actually concentrate. So, yes, I believe food (and inhalents) can trigger more inflamation on top of PMR. Endorphins from exercise is also helpful for the pain. Just thought I'd throw that in there lol

• Posted

Reading an interesting book.  It's a bit frustrating because the author is spending much of his effort making his case, which I'm already on board with, which is that the health of our microbes plays a big part, much bigger than we have known, in our health.  Considering that most of the dna in our bodies is not human dna, we need to be paying attention to the health of the other organisms, the ones that help us digest our food, keep our skin healthy, may even have a role to play in how our brain and emotions function.  An incomplete set of this organisms, caused by antibiotics and other stresses of modern life, can lead directly to inflammatory diseases.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.