Can Furosemide Have a Reverse Effect?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been taking furosemide for over a year together with three of the medications on the warning list, I'm having loads of problems and although my GP reduced my dose from 40mg to 20mg it hasn't really helped and now he just won't take me seriously. eg I told him I'd had blurry sight since first taking them - he said see an optician and shrugged off my other symptoms..

The thing is not only does it make me feel ill and exhausted all the time, when I take it regulary my lower legs and ankles swell alarmingly, and I feel very fluidy in my chest - if I stop for a while it gets better. When I told my GP he said it was impossible.

Apart from all that, I get about 2 clear hours before I have to start urgently running to the toilet. It's making it almost impossible to go out for more than an hour and makes me feel really weak anddrained.

Now I'm wondering if it's just me sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

No, Linda, it's NOT just you. Trust your instincts. I've had so many problems with medications, and more problems with unbelieving doctors. It's not worth ruining your health to satisfy a doctor. The only pedestal he is on is the one he put himself on. You know what's best for your body, and it doesn't sound like furosemide suit you at all. You need to be off them completely to assess what happens then. Try to stand up for yourself, hard though it is I know, I have to pluck up courage myself, and ask him to try you with something else if it is that you definitely need a diuretic. Good luck!
  • Posted

Thank You Flutterby,

I haven't seen many adverse reactions mentioned - and a lot of people are very pleased wtih itm but it could be of course, that there are other people like me sitting at home wondering if it's just them ...

• Posted

Did you ever get sorted Linda?  I was on Bendroflumethiaside which was great.  Doc changed me to Furosemide 40mg which is a pain.  After approx one hour of taking, I start going to the toilet every 5ish mins for half an hour then every 15-20 mins etc.  After about 3 hours I feel less bloated and feet and fingers stop looking so tight and swollen and the pins and needles disappears in my feet.  The wee is clear.  After about 3-4 hours I start storing it sll again.  At work it is embarassing.  I cannot go out & about if I take it.  Doc has suggested I cut back to 20mg but then I dont get rid of as much fluid and the swelling continues.  Skin gets tight on fingers and they are hard and less flexible.  After the tablets have worked I feel loose skin again and everything moves nicely. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.