Can gastritis cause breathing problems?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This all started 2 months ago when I was drinking some diet coke from a glass and a small piece of ice went in my throat and my throat spasmed up.2 days later i went to the ER and they did a throat xray and nothing there. Doctor gave me omeprazole. Don't know why. A week later i had an endoscopy and I was diagnosed with chronic gastritis. Normal esophagis. No h. pylori. I have a diminutive hiatus hernia but the surgeon i met with said thats hardly a hernia if one at all looking at the picture. My main symtom is breathing problems. Hard to fully exhale due to being bloated 24/7. It has been this way the whole time with zero letup. I have taken omeprazole, esomaprazole, and i am currently taking lansoprazole 30mg. My question is do you think the breathlessness is caused by the gastritis or a side affect of the PPI's or something else? Thanks and by the way im in the USA 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Some people get bloating with PPIs. Try coming off them to see if the bloating disappears. If bloating is causing the breathlessness, things may improve if the bloating disappears.  Follow a gastritis diet and avoid gassy foods and drinks that may cause bloating. Maybe try an OTC antacid to help the gastritis or milk which is a great antacid so long as you can tolerate it. 
  • Posted

Hi anxiety could be a reason why also with gastritist you have to change your eating habits stay away from any dairy products try eating gluten free products and stay away from liquor / soda / orange juice. Stay away from goggle it will make you crazy it you let it diagnose you.

Best of luck

• Posted

Thanks for the replies. I have been reading ines thread on curing gastritis and im caught in the the middle of thinking i need to take ppis so the gastritis can heal or stopping ppis because they might cause breathing problems. i have not been on ppis very long but i have not been better or worse since staying on them.
  • Posted

Also i think i may stay on ppis at least until the 4th of July. Maybe they will take full effect by then. Right now my diet consists of ONLY white rice. I heard its easy on the stomach for digestion. I will also continue this until the 4th. Any thoughts?
    • Posted

There is no nutrition on rice is just a filling do fruits and vegetables also grilled chicken is good papaya is great for the stomach. Is you have to have rice do brown rice water water water. Stay away from chocolate also

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.