Can GERD turn into LPR?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

In early Jan, I started burping after eating or drinking anything and getting abdominal pains and bad heartburn. My GP put me on 2 x 20mg Omeprazole per day, which did help but made me very dizzy. I tried for a while on 1 x 20mg Omeprazole but was even worse than before taking anything (rebound?).

So, I asked if I could try what I'd had a year or 2 ago (heartburn after taking antibiotics), and the GP said that I'd had Ranitidine previously, and I try could 2 x 150mg per day. It seems to be working quite well (maybe not quite as well as Omeprazole) but I get absolutely no side-effects, which is great.

But I've suddenly started getting a sore throat, hoarseness and a feeling of a lump in my throat, all of which come and go. I went back to the GP and they think it's some kind of infection because they saw some white marks in my mouth, and have given me an antifungal, but it hasn't done much so far. I'm wondering if it call be LPR, but why would I get LPR on Ranitine when I wasn't getting it to start with, or while I was on Omeprazole?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What kind of anti-fungal

are you taking?

• Posted

Is it Nystatin Swish and Swallow.

Is it a liquid or pill. If it is liquid make

sure you spend a long time gargling

swishing it in your mouth tough

let it sit in your mouth after u swish and gargle it around then swallow it.

• Posted

I love talking to myself I am out of here you guys never answer good luck i hooe u all feel better adios
    • Posted

Hi GI Girl,

Apologies for the delay - I was out last night. Thanks you for all the info. I'm taking the liquid Nystan, and will use it as you suggested. Also, I can now see that you're right, and it would be silly to changing anything now until I've fininshed the course of Nystan. So, I'll see where I am in a few more days.

Thanks

• Posted

Pepto Bismol

This medication is used under a doctor's direction with other medication Do not use this medication to self treat. Prpto Bismol is a salicylate. Salicylates (Aspirin) can cause serious bleeding problems if used on a regular basis. It can also

effect the peristalsis in your digestive

system if overly abused and can lead

to constipation and bleeding.

• Posted

I. totally agree with what you

are saying about pepto bismol

I only hope that the encouragement

to use it everyday by a certain person

on this forum is ignored. Sometimmrd

if u c something concerning for health

reasons it should not be deleted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.