Can gluten intolerance come out of nowhere?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was fine a couple months ago. In the last 4 weeks I have been constantly bloated. I am still regular (once daily) with toilet habits and OK stools. But I'm always bloated, I am eating less and have a much less want and ableness to drink fluids, I think becasue of the bloat. Also fluids go pretty muc straight through me. I'm posting in here becasue after I eat bread I get a pain in my lower abdomen pretty much within 10 minutes that lasts for an hour or two, which then turns into a contasnt bloat. I've also got random fatigue and headaches. Moving around isn't too comfortable either. Is this recognisable?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Scott I wonder if you have been to see a doctor yet? My thoughts are, you can have coeliac disease for a long time and not have all the symptoms, maybe just a few mild ones and then, often after a gastric bug of somekind, the coeliac disease will flare up. And it seems to get worse over time and symptoms can alter. If coeliac disease then the fatigue and headaches you are getting may be a result of mineral and vitamin deficiencies. You could benefit by taking magnesium, calcium and vitamin B. Take calcium earlier in the day and magnesium later. 

• Posted

Thanks for your Reply! Just to add to what I first said, trying to understand my symptoms, once my gut is already irritated say from eating bread in the morning, could any food in subsequent meals then casue further bloating. As for lunch and dinner I may avoid gluten but I still get some rumbles. 
    • Posted

I would say it could still be from the bread in the morning. (When completely gluten free and you accidently have gluten it could take a few days to get over it and if you accidently have gluten for a few days in a row it could take a few weeks to get over it!)
  • Posted

Also seeing a dotor tommorrow for blood tests
    • Posted

You need to have been eating gluten products (like about 4 slices of bread a day) for tests to work. Otherwise tests could come back false negative. A blood test SOMETIMES shows false negative so you can't rely completely on it. You would need to have an endoscopy and biopsy of the small intestine to make sure it is coeliac. And you need to have been eating gluten for at least SIX weeks before the test. Otherwise you could still get a false negative. You wouldnt want to have to have the test again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.