Can hardly lift my leg to get into a van

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello Everyone.. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am 4 months post tkr surgery and am trying to be very patient patient. I haven't seen any discussion on this so here goes:

I have trouble raising my  even to get into a van. I am going to the gym 3x/week to strengthen my left leg and to prepare my right one for surgery in December. 

Does anyone else have problems raising their leg - it feels heavy and it is somewhat painful when i do. I think its that sideways raise, such as getting in to a vehicle with a high instep. 

Thanks again!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Four months is not a long time.  Gotta get past the pain, then PT to get your ROM back and the gym to regain all the strength in your dead quads, glutes and core.  It all takes time, patience and work.  Lifting that leg like before the surgery will not happen immediately.  It's as if you're trying to climb two stairs at once...not easy at four months.

• Posted

Hi Gynna 

i lie in bed at night before I go to sleep I do an excercise my leg straight move my foot up and down then lift it a little bit each time for 3 seconds to start with then up it a little more each time at the moment I'm doing great I have a pedal machine which I bought from Amazon so when I sit in a chair in the kitchen I pedal it and that has helped me a lot to I'm going to see if I can have my left one done after Christmas x

good luck let me know how you get on.

carol01845.

• Posted

Well, I have not tried a van but at  6 months out, to get into the other half's landrover, I take one of those small folding steps you use to reach things in the house. It does help getting out too as I know my knee is not the best TKR ever (as yet anyway) and would jar badly if I just hopped down as I once could and getting in it is the swing round that would be painful too. Other knee has bad OA too, another reason I go carefully. Surgeon is not getting near the other yet though, until either new less painful treatment is invented or the other one finally turns out a resounding success.

?If you are worried due to the next surgery, maybe ask your PT for advice though.

• Posted

Hi gynna!

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and SHORT LEGS! I can totally relate to your challenge to get in a van following TKR!😬 I experimented with two different step stools. One I was able to hook with my cane after getting in my Jeep. The other one required me to gerry rig a bungy cord with a thick rubber band.

Stepping on the first stool (toothbrushing stool used by our boys!) then the second stool made the high entrance VERY easy!😁Once up I just turned around, placed my rear on the seat then fished up my two stools from the ground.

I found getting OUT was easier. I just gently S-L-I-D out without any stools.

After my legs got stronger and I got more flexible I was able to eliminate one stool then both stools.

Our son got a new Ram 2500 Diesel and brought it to take us for a ride several months later. I opened the door, looked at the running board and the nice HANDLE by the door. I looked at HOW HIGH that seat was! 😱 I took my time thinking out my entrance strategy. Turns out it was actually EASIER than my Jeep! 😁 I got in the passenger seat by putting my right foot on the running board and my left hand on the handle by the open door. That left my left foot and leg free to swing me in and into my seat.😁Getting out I just did the same and stepped out with my left foot while holding onto the handle with my right hand.

Our son said he was really proud of me. I was proud of me, too!😁

Take your time.

Don't be afraid to think of easy and safe ways to move.

Soon you will be hopping in and out like before!!!

Sending prayers of courage and strength and patience tonight!??

(TKRs June and October 2015)

• Posted

Thanks everyone!! You are encouraging!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.