Can high thyroid level cause bloating?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I have been bloated up every day since last September and my GP thought that I may have an allergy and so I had a blood test and it turned out that I'm not allergic to anything but I have a high thyroid level. I'm going to have an other blood test soon to make sure it wasn't just a one-time thing but does anyone know anything about whether it can cause bloating in the first place? Also, if anyone knows anything else that might cause my bloating please comment. I am taking mebeverine at the moment and have been taking it for 2 weeks and it doesn't seem to help. I took lactulose and peppermint tablets and neither have worked. As I already said I have no allergies or food intolerance and don't have celiac disease either. When I get bloated it doesn't hurt or feel weird or anything and I get constipated but that might be just because I don't eat much fiber. So if anyone has any suggestions that would be so good because bloating up every day for half a year is really bad.

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It is thought that leaky gut causes autoimmune problems like Graves disease and Hashimoto's.  That could happen when tight junctions in the gut, which control what passes through the lining of the small intestine, don't work properly. That could let substances leak into the bloodstream.  You need to ask your doc whether you have antibodies indicative of Graves or Hashimoto's.  A Naturopath would be better informed about the gut issue.  Some of the causes are food sensitivities, diet high in gluten or an imbalance of healthy bacteria in the gut.  Periodically I have it but not all the time.  I am chronically constipated and take Senekot with stool softener daily to ensure good bowel movements. I  have tried adding fibre to no avail and this works for me.
  • Posted

Bloating may cause, or be caused by, heart failure.  Do you have any shortness of breath?  Also, high thyroid or low thyroid can cause heart failure.  The constipation, I thought, was more a symptom of low, rather than high, thyroid.  Another thing I have done to really verify that my thyroid was too high was to take my pulse.  A resting heart rate of over 80 bpm could show that your thyroid is dangerously high. 
    • Posted

Well I'm not quite sure whether I have shortness of breath or not. I think I breathe at a slower rate than other people. I measured my pulse just now, 3 times and every time it was around 80bpm... Could I have heart failure?
    • Posted

I don't think it is really likely that you have heart failure.  The way I understand heart failure by what my husband went through, is that the bloating gets so bad, and if you are retaining fluids in your chest cavity because your heart can't pump at full strength, it makes you feel like you can't get enough air even while at rest.  For my husband, it seemed like he was always panting or hyperventilating because he had so much pressure on his lungs that he couldn't breathe deeply.

We all have to breathe more heavily when we are exerting ourselves more than usual, so that is not really "shortness of breath".

If you were already tested for the thyroid and found to be hyperthyroid, you may be only slightly out of range so your pulse is also borderline high.

You should probably see what your doctor has to say about your symptoms.

• Posted

If I do have heart failure it must be very mild or maybe a different type...? I don't know I'll ask my GP. Thanks for all your comments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.