Can hormonal changes affect or can relax the lower esophageal sphincter leading to acid reflux

Posted , 49 users are following.

I read somewhere that pre menopause hormonal changes can be the culprit in the abnormal movement of the lower esophageal sphincter. Has anyone encountered this? Please answer. Thanks! I really need support at this point in time.

4 likes, 125 replies

125 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello

I just started menopause symptoms, hot flashes, night sweats, missed my period for 3 months. 30 days ago I have been dealing with this LPR. I did check my hormones and came back low so I am for in hormone replacement bio identical pills for one week . I hope this help. I never had anything wrong with by stomach before! I will let every one know how it progresses.

• Posted

carmen00864...if you aren't already aware of this, keep in mind that you MIGHT have to try a few different forms and doses of the HRT to find the one that's right for you. So, don't give up on the first try. A lot of women do that and there can be a world of difference in how our bodies respond to the different forms and doses available. Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Hi Carmen

Just wondering if the BHRT is helping your stomach. I have had chronic reflux for 3 years now. I've been taking progesterone for about 3 months now but my reflux hasnt improved. Doctor did say it would take about 6 months to completely balance my hormones. But I'm scared that all the reflux could have permently damaged my lower oesophagal spincter muscle. I'm at the point where I'm considering having the Linx magnet fitted to my oesophagus to help it close properly. But I wanted to use this as a last resort.

Thanks Dom

• Posted

its me again...i just read another post. how interesting that you mentioned youre taking progesterone. I am also taking the BHRT oral progesterone. i noticed my acid reflux increases when i take it. I mentioned it to my doctor and was told to pause for a while. though i continue to have acid reflux because of the hiatal hernia but i recent started the progesterone again and acid reflux increased again with the lump feeling in throat and chest. Could the progesterone be a trigger?

• Posted

Yes I do believe the progesterone can be a trigger. Have u had your hormones tested. If u go back through the thread of this chain of emails one lady reckons she could sniff progest and it would cause reflux. I'm having my hormones checked again by GP. It's hard to trust these  fancy hormone docs !! It could just be all about the money. 

• Posted

Yes you are so right Dominique they are all about the money. I was not having any symptons of acid reflux until i started the progesterone. Though i was having the stomach issue but the acid reflux was under control until ...I think i may be done with the hormones docs . I went to a naturopath last week and he said you cant just treat one thing in the body such as replacing hormones, but you must treat the whole body because everything connects. which maybe the reason why if you stop taking it or only some symptons leave because youre only concentrating on hormones and not the whole body. Everything has to be in balance.

• Posted

I have been searching the web looking for hormones and reflux. Im glad I found this post. My estradiol is 81.5 which suggests post menopausal levels given the measuring ranges for the test. However they didn't bother to test my progesterone at all. My testosterone was right in the middle of normal range. With that said, I have developed LPR GERD. Food hard to swallow, felling of lump in my throat, constant feeling of food and liquid in my esophagus, raw throat, dry cough, mucus by the gallon in my throat. Luckily no heart burn or stomach pain. On a PPI as well as zantac but they seem to make it much worse not better.  Never had any stomach problems before now and just out of the blue this garbage comes on. I struggle with many other Peri menopausal symptoms but this one has caught me by surprise for sure. I have noticed that a few other ladies have suggested that they believe their problem is LOW stomach acid instead of high. I suspect that may be my problem as well since it seems food in my stomach takes many hours to move along. Since my estradiol is so low and I don't know what my progesterone is, could i assume that my LPR could be caused by progesterone dominance? I am just turning 47 and have been having peri symptoms for about 4 years now. I have no uterus so cant track my flow as a benchmark so I just have to wing it and wonder. Any thoughts? Greatly appreciated from anyone.

• Posted

hi there did you find a cure for your LpR? im siffering from GERD FOR 6 years now i even resorted ti having an operation i had a magnet fiited around my LES muscle but it hasnt been 100 % successful i still cant eat what i want or lie flat at night and my stimach constantly burns its all so depressing . my hubby still thinks its all hormone related. a couple of yrs ago i tried hrt (estradiol?) 40/240 i think but i started getting really bad headaches so i stopped it . im thinking now i shoukdve persisted maybe tried another brand or different dose?

id never had reflux in my life until i reached 40/41

i really hope you found some answers

regards

dominique

• Posted

Hello there. How is your LPR? I have very similar symptoms. I take lansoprazole 30 mg, and I was wondering if I should also take zantac. The lansoprazole has helped, but I still have reflux. I believe I am in menopause, and that's probably why I've had a few bouts of low-estrogen related ills. I had a frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) which required a manipulation by an orthopedic surgeon. While that was painful, I would take that any day over the reflux I'm experiencing.

• Posted

Hello did you get adjusted? Are you on both Estrogen and Progesterone now? I was on both no problems until tapered down Estrogen a little from 1mg to 1/2 mg. Progesterone 100mg. Now Estrogen low at 14, progesterone same 1-2. Used to be none. Having throat symptom. Just posted my whole story. Wondering if I need to increase Estrogen again, or drop Progesterone.

• Posted

Hello did you get adjusted? Are you on both Estrogen and Progesterone now? I was on both no problems until tapered down Estrogen a little from 1mg to 1/2 mg. Progesterone 100mg. Now Estrogen low at 14, progesterone same 1-2. Used to be none. Having throat symptom. Just posted my whole story if you were able to read. Wondering if I need to increase Estrogen again, or drop Progesterone.

• Posted

I am so glad i read this thread. I have been going through exactly the same thing since taking Prostap injections. Been seeing a gastro consultant with no joy so far and between gynae doctors as been re referred to another hospital as doc didnt know what to do with me. Will get straight down gp and get hormone levels checked. Thank you so much for making me feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel
    • Posted

Hello did you get adjusted? Are you on both Estrogen and Progesterone now? I was on both no problems until tapered down Estrogen a little from 1mg to 1/2 mg. Progesterone 100mg. Now Estrogen low at 14, progesterone same 1-2. Used to be none. Having throat symptom. Just posted my whole story. Wondering if I need to increase Estrogen again, or drop Progesterone.

• Posted

Hi all please give me some advice I've never suffered much acid but 5 week ago a few days after taking morning after pill....sent my periods crazy and started a feeling of food getting stuck when i swallow and even when I don't eat I have a raw feeling in my esparagus....could this all be down to that pill messing my hormones up....I'm a wreck worried sick I have summit serious kind regardsĀ 
    • Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.