Can hormonal changes affect or can relax the lower esophageal sphincter leading to acid reflux

Posted , 49 users are following.

I read somewhere that pre menopause hormonal changes can be the culprit in the abnormal movement of the lower esophageal sphincter. Has anyone encountered this? Please answer. Thanks! I really need support at this point in time.

4 likes, 125 replies

125 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 46 and estrogen is high, while my progesterone is almost non existent. Started getting bad GERD and LPR (even got a rupture ear drum from it).

I can also get a GERD/LPR headache, tinnitus (when I eat Reflux stimulating foods/drinks) and even start vomitting. sad

My most recent upper Endocscopy showed White Cells (leukocytes) in my Duodenum after a year or so of really bad Reflux. Translation: Duodenitis.

Since that time, I have started using a Progesterone cream at bedtime. It has improved the GERD/LPR significantly.

Try the Bioidentical hormones as the Rx (horse hormones like PremPro and Premarin) have many side effects. There are Bioidentical hormone groups with many answers, on Facebook. 

HTH.

• Posted

Hello did you get adjusted? Are you on both Estrogen and Progesterone now? I was on both no problems until tapered down Estrogen a little from 1mg to 1/2 mg. Progesterone 100mg. Now Estrogen low at 14, progesterone same 1-2. Used to be none. Having throat symptom. Just posted my whole story. Wondering if I need to increase Estrogen again, or drop Progesterone.

• Posted

Hi just wondered how you are getting on? I am suffering with reflux at mo and feel sure it is hormone related.

• Posted

Hello did you get adjusted? Are you on both Estrogen and Progesterone now? I was on both no problems until tapered down Estrogen a little from 1mg to 1/2 mg. Progesterone 100mg. Now Estrogen low at 14, progesterone same 1-2. Used to be none. Having throat symptom. Just posted my whole story. Wondering if I need to increase Estrogen again, or drop Progesterone.

• Posted

I am 46 and have been in peri for several years. My GERD is flaring terribly at the moment and it feels like I have food coming up in my throat a lot. I can't take acid reducers as they make me dizzy and anxious. I am seeing my GYN this week to discuss hormone options. I had a saliva test a few months ago and hormones are out of whack. Did any of you have the regurgitation issue with your reflux? I don't drink caffeine or alcohol, don't eat greasy or spicy foods (no gallbladder), sleep elevated, don't smoke and eat so bland it's ridiculous. I swear this is all hormone related and it makes me feel like I am going crazy.

• Posted

hi yes I had regurgitation so frequently that my throat was not working properly and swallowing was a real problem. My tests even showed ineffective swallowing due to acid however that has thankfully all gone. I also had gastritis symptoms and cough. I get mild symptoms now if I miss a dose of progesterone so i know in my case it is like a hormone induced IBS type response I would recommend bioidentical hormones if you are imbalanced

• Posted

I think that is the worst part for me right now. I can handle the burning but feeling like I am going to spit up my food is the worst. I am not nauseous thankfully. I hope hormones help. I just had an endoscopy last year. I don't want another one.

• Posted

hi there

ive had GERD for 7 yrs now started when i hit 40. never had reflux in my life before. last year i had linx fitted (magnet around my LES muscle) . sadly i still cant lie flat at night or eat and drink what i like. for years my hisband tginks its hormone related. 2 weeks ago i started bio identical hormones, eostrogen and progest . when you first started the hormones did your symptoms worsen before they improved? my doc said i have to play with the doses for at least 3 months until symptoms improve. my main symptoms are GERD, anger, irritability, anxiety, and sleep disturbance.

very glad you found your cure this disease is hell!!!

• Posted

Hi, endoscopy showed mild inflammation/irritation as it always has from the ones years prior. I am taking a small amount of Pepcid AC to take the edge off until I can get my hormones straightened out. All acid reducers make me feel horrible.

• Posted

Hi Dominique

Were you diagnosed with GERD through endoscopy? Have you got a hiatus hernia. Ive been suffering for eight months now and am edging towards menopause. I had a barrier swallow in May and that did not detect a hernia. I have an endoscopy tomorrow which i am not looking forward to!

• Posted

yes gastro doc diagnosed me with GERD. Two wndoscopies suggested i had a small Hh but two others couldnt see anything. when i was operated on they coukdnt see HH but he put one stitch in to be safe. in aistralia they put u under for endoscopy. you wont feel anytging. dont be worried its fine. ASK them to take biopsies for celiac disease and helicobactor pylori. they shoukd check for ulcers and see if you have gastritis. All the best xx

• Posted

the first couple of years were my worst and i lost heaps of weight because i could barely eat anything! ive put some back on though which is good but i find food quite stressful. i dont eat as bland as i should. i really want to go low fodmap but i cant be strict enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.