Can hot weather cause you to go into afib

Posted , 4 users are following.

Today we had our big 4th July celebration here in ky and I run a bbq business, it was very very hot today and I was fine all day cooking until I sat down I was drinking lots of lemonade and felt my heart start jumping as I was setting down, and I got short of breath lil bit, I went home, got in the air laid down, my rate was staying around 95-130, I called my doctor he said take my other half of solatol, I was able to get some rest, now my rate is 60, all I had to eat was pack doughnuts diet Dr Pepper, water and lots of lemonade could the heat have caused it? The heat index here was over 100 degrees by the way thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Im in UK and its currently much hotter here than we may be used to. For me, yes, hot weather triggers my PAF. I work in a building with air con, but just yesterday, when I left to drive home, my car was 34C and almost intantly, the extreme heat change started an episode. For your example, may I also note you had a pretty big sugar hit. That quite likely will have contributed to your episode too, inspite of your water intake. Maybe try to eat a little more balanced? Foodstuff can also trigger my episodes.
  • Posted

Ok so a few things here.... for one a massive intake of sugar can spike blood sugar levels causing AF and arrhythmia. Also heat and dehydration causes the same. I know this as all three have caused my PAF historically. I have to eat less sugar and little and often meals to cope. On holiday abroad I have to use dehydration sachets and drink oodles of water, not lemonade 😊

• Posted

Thank you all for responding and yes I was drinking a lot as it was very hot lemonade that is, and yes it was one of them busy days were you eat on run and I grabbed me pack doughnuts I’m store, thank you again 
  • Posted

Sugar, alcohol, caffeine and stress all deplete the body of potassium and magnesium.  Low levels of these cause heart rhythm problems like afib. 

Its okay to eat sugar, drink alcohol etc. but your diet has to provide sufficient amounts of potassium and magnesium to offset the loss.

The comments you have received about sugar are spot on......

Frank

• Posted

Thank you, I think with the heat from the grill, and the lemonade I drink all at once did it, now I kno to stick with water if I’m gonna be out doing this, it’s a learning process, guess I got it in my head that the medicine was working and I was ok
  • Posted

Similar happened to me this 4th. Hot day, cold drink, bam!

It's a vagal response to sudden temperature change. Avoid the ice or take small sips till your body adjusts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.