Can HRT cure heartburn

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve been suffering GERD (chronic reflux) for 5 years now. It came out of no where when I was 41. I’d never experience reflux in all my life. For 5 years I’ve been trying to discover the cause of it to no avail. 

I did go to hormone doc and have saliva test and they said I had no progesterone. I went in bio identical progest for just over a year but it made no difference. If anything it made the reflux worse. 

I went to my gp recently and she did a fsh blood panel and it confirmed I’m premenopausal (I knew this anyway). But she said all my hormones are in the “normal level”. She’s reluctant to give me eostrogen as she says it might make my moods worse! (But I’m already so irritable and moody). Has anyone else had normal levels but still tried HRT? I’m wondering if the normal levels are not my ideal levels. I can get very aggressive at times and my hubby is convinced heartburn is hormone related. 

Are blood tests as reliable as saliva tests? I’m going back to docs this sat to ask if I can trial HRT. If it makes me worse I can always stop, however it sounds like people have to do a fare bit of tweaking the dose before they feel their optimum best?! 

I really can’t live with the reflux any longer!!! I’m considering spending thousands to go overseas to have an operation, however I really would like to fix the cause of the reflux rather than just put a band aid on it. Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank u Dominique 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dominique, it wasn't until I read your concerns about heartburn that I realize since being on hrt (for just 7 weeks now) that I'm no longer taking ranitadine almost daily, which I had been taking for about 5 years . Im on the combined hrt and up to now it's working wonders, I still feel extremely moody but on the whole much better.....my husband says he just wants the old me back, but whilst you are going through this terrible time its easy for others to say... kind regards

• Posted

Oh wow that’s really interesting. I going to show my doc your reply, thank you. A lot of people think pre menopause is just end of periods and hot flushes and mood swings but it’s so much more, like bad digestive issues!!! I wonder if the HRT will give you 100% relief from GERD? Please keep me updated. 

Can I have the name of the HRT you are on? Did u have a blood test to test your hormones? 

Thanks 

Dominique 

• Posted

Hi Dominique,

I'm on kilofem it says 2mg/1mg not sure what combination it is but your gp will know . I didn't have any tests at all when I went to see my doctor, apparently she has a special interest in hrt which i didn't know about until I saw her, I just see her as she is kind and understanding, . I didn't know if I was depressed or being over the top , when I went to see my gp I looked and felt wretched , i had lost weight and was crying every day.... for nothing. and the reflux of course . I have never had a repeat prescription in all my life and have only ever been to 2 doctor s , I'm 53 , so wasn't doing bad up until now.....it's so horrid. Kind regards

• Posted

I had Chronic acid reflux some years ago. It damaged the lining of my gullet causing the muscles to spasm and give the feeling of a stick stuck deep in my throat. What are you doing to treat it? I stopped eating all acidic foods and other food and drink that can cause reflux or relax the sphincter to the stomach e.g. coffee, tea, fizzy drinks, alcohol. Also eating small portions helped. I had to sleep propped up on a pillow so that my upper body was never horizontal. I also took medicine that reduces the acid production in the stomach. After about 2 years I was better and back to eating and drinking normally and sleeping in a horizontal position.
    • Posted

Hi suki

Yes I have tried a lot of dietary changes. I went gluten free, I tried fodmap for 2 weeks, I’ve gone dairy free (which does help). I don’t drink coffee ( occasionally decaf), don’t drink tea or fizzy drinks and I very occasionally have alcohol. 

I do still include lemon and limes in my diet but not much and icccassionally have apple cider on my chips. I don’t eat citrus fruits. I sleep on an incline (2 bricks either side top of my bed). Propping up with pillows doesn’t work for me.  

When you say acidic foods what do u mean? Did u take any supplements? 

Thanks 

Dominique 

• Posted

I have tried the stomach meds but I get a lot of side effects from them and I’m scared I will never be able to come off them. Zantac was the only one that helped. Was you on the meds for 2 years? So many people are on stomach meds but no one seems to be able to come off them? Did u have problems stopping the meds? What meds did u take? Thanks. Sorry for so many questions. I’m very desperate!!! 

• Posted

I can’t really remember what I took. I remember the GP gave me something to encourage downward motility, that is to stop stuff coming back up the wrong way - that I encouraged my downwards gut motility too much, if you know what I mean! I think after that I just had strong anti acids. I didn’t take any suppliments. 

One other thing - acid reflux can be caused by stress. Mine started when we were the process of emigrating to the Far East. Are you under stress at the moment?

• Posted

Yes I’m under tremendous stress with my teenage daughter!! Have been for past 5 yrs! 
    • Posted

Interesting that you have had the reflux problem for 5 years too.....

Well, you did say you wanted to treat the cause ....

Perhaps you need to go on different forum for how to manage teenage daughters. Mumsnet is good.

• Posted

Oh we are definitely addressing the daughter problem. We are going through a program called MST (multi systemic therapy). I have a clinical psychologist come to my house 3 x week for 5 months. We are definitely seeing signs of improvement but it’s really hard work and very stressful at times when we get the backlash. That’s why I so desperately need to feel better so I can cope with my daughter. If HRT doesn’t work then I’m going to have the Linx device fitted. 
  • Posted

Hello ladies, I read something tonight which suddenly made me wonder if going on hrt about 6 months ago had something to do with the gradual demise of my heart burn.  I had been on lanzaprozole (peptic pump inhibitors) for years and it had stopped working so the doc told me to just try mebevrine which is just a tummy calmer for Ibs. Then I went on hrt and I haven’t suffered since although I had never put the two together, until now. Hrt has been great for me. No more tears, no more hot and cold, a decent nights sleep, and all from day one. I am on premique which is a low dose estrogen and progesterone. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Kate

So pleased you replied. It came just at the right time for me because my family life is a nightmare at the moment!! 

I had my hormones checked by my gp and they confirmed I was premenopausal ( which I knew anyway) but she said my hormones were “normal”? I however convinced her that I wanted to try something and so she put me on a contraceptive pill ( low estrogen and low progest). I was on it 2 weeks but my mood got worse! And due to my family life I had a breakdown. I stopped taking the pill but I’m still convinced (as is my hubby) that my hormones are out of whack. I have terrible mood swings, chronic reflux and bad knee pain ( did you have any joint pain prior to taking premique?).  I’m wondering how hrt differs from taking a contraceptive pill? I’m still keen to try premique. 

How fantastic that your reflux cleared up. That must feel fantastic!! Also I’m suffering with insomnia which is making dealing with my family issues so much harder. 

Anyway thank you for replying as it’s given me the push to try again with persuading doc to give me hrt. 

Dominique 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.