Can Hydrocelectomy cause infertility?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can Hydrocelectomy cause infertility? 

And if so what are the chances?

I am scheduled to have my Hydrocelectomy operation on Monday.

If the operation can cause infertility I think it is not worth it. One of my hydroceles is about the size of an avacado but I'd be happy to keep it if it meant keeping my fertility.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Can hydrocele surgery affect fertility?

A hydrocele typically isn't dangerous and usually doesn't affect fertility. However, it might be associated with an underlying testicular condition that can cause serious complications, including: Infection or tumor. Either might reduce sperm production or function.

• Posted

Thanks but I am wondering if the procedure is safe.

I've seen a couple of articles that mention infertility as possible complications.

• Posted

You might have a point...I just found this...

Risks

Hydrocelectomy is considered a safe surgery, with only a 2% risk of infection or complications. Injury to spermatic vessels can occur, however, and affect the man's fertility. As with all surgical procedures, reactions to anesthesia, bleeding from the surgical incision, and internal bleeding can also occur.

• Posted

Never heard of a straight forward hydrocele causing that problem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.