Can hypothyroidism be cured after 8 years of treatment with medication?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism almost 15 years ago when I was 20. My family doctor put me on synthyroid and that seemed to help a ton but then I got married a couple years later and during my 1st pregnancy they doubled my dose and I stayed on the medication up until my 2nd pregnancy 2 years later. For whatever the reason during that pregnancy they had me stop taking the thyroid meds cause they said my labs all came back normal. I didn’t feel like I was back to my normal self but I didn’t argue with them about it and just figured my body would adjust back to normal eventually since there was no more thyroid issue. Well now it’s been 9 years and a third pregnancy (5 years ago) and I still feel like crap everyday. It’s gotten so bad that I now feel depressed and none of the symptoms from the hypothyroidism have gone away. If anything they have gotten worse. When I ask my family dr he just acts like there’s no connection between the thyroid condition I “used” to have and my current symptoms of fatigue, insomnia, joint pain, abnormal sweating (just in the right arm pit) and confusion/memory problems that get worse every year it seems. I’m curious if anyone has ever heard of pregnancy curing hypothyroidism or if it just goes away over time. From what I understand it doesn’t just cure itself but my dr seems to think it does. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don’t know the answer to your question, but do you get a “full panel” thyroid blood test? The full panel tests all numbers, not just two. Maybe consider a new dr. I stopped seeing a MD for my hypo. I now see nurse practitioners who take a full panel. I also take selenium & Thyroid Care (a natural iodine supplement) along with my meds every morning. Just the meds alone don’t really help me either. Be your own advocate. Do your research & find what makes you feel better. Also, I recently started seeing a Naturpath. He muscle tested me & said my T4 is not converting to T3. So, I just started taking Meda-stim. I read a lot of good reviews. Reviews said it works, but takes 2 to 3 months before you start to feel better. Hope you find a dr who listens to you & helps you feel better. 

• Posted

Did your thyroid tests come back normal while you were taking thyroid meds? Well if yes why would they stop your thyroid med? Something doesn't sound right unless you ommited some important information. Your children should be tested as well. Taking iodine can make a person worse if they are taking thyroid meds so if you go back on thyroid meds you should stop the iodine. Too much iodine is not good for your thyroid function.

• Posted

Maybe the "cure" was not having the antibodies anymore which may cure some but not all...like myself. Still need the meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.