Can I be comfortable flying with scleritis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had posterior scleritis for 12 years.  Mostly controlled with generic Cellcept.  I would like to fly on a vacation on a commercial plane.  But, I am afraid that the change in air pressure will cause me a lot of pain.  I get pain from weather changes.  My eye doctor says that flying will not do permanent damage.  But, I am still afraid of pain, etc.  Has anyone with this condition flown on a commercial plane, and did it cause you pain?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have flown with this condition with no ill effects, make sure you have a good pair of sunglasses with you. Good luck and enjoy your holiday.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.  I was wondering how long you have had Scleritis?  Thank you!
    • Posted

Hiya, I have had it since November 2014 but was only diagnosed in October 2015, also have Iritis & UV Itus.  Still taking prednisolone, did manage to get my dose down to 12mg then had a chest infection so GP said to increase to 30mg for 5 days then drop by 5mg every 3 days. First drop of 5mg one eye flared up so now trying to drop by 2.5mg every week, see if that works!!

Hope your flight and holiday go well for you.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, and hoping that your treatment goes well!
  • Posted

I have had scleritis for almost 2 years. I've been to hospital today for a rituximab treatment. Doctors say think it will work for me. I am in the same situation as yourself. My granddaughter is being baptised abroad this May. I would really like to go. I asked the consultant if the change in pressure would cause me pain, he replied no it wouldn't and that pressure change does not affect scleritis

However I flew abroad 18 months ago and the pain was intense and I was popping ibuprofen all the way, but at the time I wasn't on any medication except for pain relief. I hadn't been given a diagnosis. Hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I hope your treatment goes well!  Did you have any actual damage to your vision from flying before you were diagnosed?  (I assume not, but just wondered.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.