Can I be undiagnosed after being diagnosed with GAD?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My question is whether once your diagnosed with GAD can you ever be undiagnosed or will it always be an existing disorder in my life even if I get the symptoms managed.. ? Just trying to understand the disorder better. I have read about people with BPD for example be diagnosed and then have symptoms be completely gone through therapy and no longer fitting into the diagnosis and just having some traits.. does that apply for GAD as well as maybe MDD? Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am not really sure what do you mean by undiagnosed but I have had GAD for a year now. I have tried and managed it as best as I could it does go away. But I think it is never that far away. It always returns. I think once your body learns it it is really hard to unlearn it but not impossible. It is going to stay but that doesn't mean you cannot have a happy life.

• Posted

Thanks I appreciate your comment. I really just meant can you ever completely not have the disorder anymore or is it always with you once you been diagnosed and you just have to manage symptoms it'll never be gone completely

• Posted

Well I think no it doesn't I have tried my best to get rid of it completely. I haven't been very successful. You learn to manage it adapt with it. But it is always there in your sub conscious as soon as you see your trigger (It can be different in your case) it comes right back. It took me around 4 months to get rid of the conditions but after another 5 months it has returned. I guess you just learn to manage it and accept it as a realty and learn to live with it as a part of your life.

• Posted

Hi there. I totally understand what your asking. I think once you have been diagnosed nobody can really undiagnose you because even if you feel like it's gone away it could return, whether it be in 2 years, 10 years or 40 years. Because it is still not fully understood why it happens (GAD) and everyone is different then there is always a chance it could come back as we must be susceptible to it. Iv suffered with it for just over 7 years! The last 4 years I have been fine, but the past month it has come back.

• Posted

I agree...  it comes and goes for me..   I can be fine for a few years then it comes right back..  I guess it just depends on my stress level..   I do try to eat healthy and exercise on a regular basis which helps me.
  • Posted

Yes, it is possible to heal from anxiety if you know how.  There are many levels to getting well and It all depends on the person, the work they are able to put into it, and how severe the issues are~~ income~support~~lots of factors are involved, it is not easy but it can be done.

Those things you mentioned are not diseases, they are disorders, therefor they can be overcome. 

For exampe, I was diganosed with anxiety and depression.  30 years later I found out I had Celiac disease.  After a year and a half of eating gluten free and palio, most of the anxiety is gone.  For some, having anxiety, autoimmune disease, cancer, diabeties are attributed to poor nutrition; fix the main problem by eating well and health follows.  

I cannot take pills, they always have awful side efffects so I decided to change how I eat, and I am better.  MDD and BPD areusually from severe childhood trauma and needs therapy and often times people find releif with the meds.

We all do what you have to to get well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.