Can I claim carers allowance?

Posted , 6 users are following.

my partner was diagnosed with cancer last November and I have been his carer since then although I still work full time night shifts. I have been told I am entitled to carers allowance. Is this correct.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear this. You can get carers allowance if you get Dla or pip. You have to care for him for 35+.

Xx

• Posted

He doesn't! get any allowances as he is 66 and getting his pension. I have been told by the hospital that I m his carer. I thought it is just what someone does for their loved one.

thanks Barbara

• Posted

Hi,

You must be 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them.

You can claim up to £62.10 per week. If the aforementioned critera is met.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

The person must be in receipt of DLA or PIP though. Sorry, missed that part off.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

The Government Legislation is as follows at the moment, maybe subject to change in the July Budget 2015.

Eligibility

You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:

you’re 16 or over

you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone

have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years

you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces

you’re not in full time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more

you earn no more than £110 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension)

• Posted

Hello I have recently got Carers Allowance.  I look after my husband who is 66.  He gets state pension and attendance allowance also.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

hi there , ive been through that proceedure before and  i think if you care for your husband 35hrs a week or more then YES you are entitled to carers allowance but i also think you can only get it if you earn less than £102 a week i think, i tried to get it when my husband became disabled 2 years ago but because i earnt over £100 a week i didnt get it,but its worth a try go for it good luck.

jayne x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.