Can I claim disability allowance ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have stage 3 copd and having problems with chest infections , I also have 2 slipped discs and suffer with depression , I'm finding my job really difficult .. my bosses are getting fed up with me being off with chest infections and struggling with my back , I'm meant to work continuously standing for 6 hrs before allowed a break but I'm in agony with back so now get a 5 min break which is nothing .. I work in a bakers shop and bake the sausage rolls etc so it's a lot of manual handling too , along with hot ovens ,air conditioning etc my copd is getting harder to control .. last chest infection lasted 12 weeks been back at work 12 weeks now off again another chest infection .. I have applied for other jobs that are office type jobs but don't have the skills they require .. although I have always been in customer sales .. used to be car seat fitter for mothercare .. I'm at my wits end with the struggle but don't know if I would be eligible for benefits .. I'm 57 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I think you'll be able to climb person Independence payment PIP for short, go on the Internet and try some research.Interesting I was a contractor for Mothercare for  nearly  30+ years 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Eric ... loved my job but just got too difficult physically !! X
  • Posted

I would suggest that if you are at stage 3 you leave the job market ASAP.  I was stage 3 and I had an exasberation in December.  It took me 2 months to get over and I never regained my strength to go back to work.  In the summer I was claiming disability and my breathing has now become worse.  I got disability from the insurance carrier and have also applied to the government.  I live in Canada.  Develop a case of depression and ANXIETY and it helps the cause.  One of the questions asked to me was what services are you getting.  I am getting housecleaning, lawn cutting and bathing.  Once they heard this I was approved.  Good luck.  
    • Posted

I did the same thing at work. I am on long term disability with work insurer and Disability with the gov't. They merge their payments.  Depression and Anxiety is daily living for me these days.  One thing to mention, do not quit your job as your payments from work will not exist and do not remove your pension funds as that can be a sign of loss of employment. I am lucky that my premiums are paid for as long as I don't remove my pension monies.

Who is paying for your housecleaning etc.  I am going to need support with that soon.  What part of Canada are you in?  I just qualified for a lung transplant this week so the lorazapam will be free flowing with stress.  Enjoy what you can while you can.

• Posted

Thanks Darlene I'm in uk so different over here ... thanks for your reply x

• Posted

Everything you said is great information.  I live in Toronto.  I pay for my housekeeping.  I don't think you can get it for free.  How did you qualify for a lung transplant?

• Posted

My lung doctor asked if I would consider the option. That was back in Oct of 2015.  I have since been doing massive amount of testing and it took me a while to get off nicotine supplements.  No nicotine  findings allowed.  It took 1.5 years to finally get on it and the surgery will be done in Edmonton.  Ask your lung doctor for information if you are interested.  There is a link for the Toronto hospital that does the procedure as well. Easy to look up on google..  Not for everyone but I decided on quality of life. 
    • Posted

Toronto lung Transplant program manual.....Look it up for information. It is a very detailed process but knowledge is key.  And study what your work insurance coverage can do for you. if you don't ask, they certainly will not offer advice.  I had to ask a million questions to get good coverage, in which I was entitled too. If your HR rep is doing their job, they should be able to direct you to some support. Take down names, numbers, date and time of all your calls and save any email messages in a folder. Anytime there is a staff change, suddenly previous info seems to get lost.  Be viligent with your communications.

Keeping track will ease a lot of stress

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.  I am 56.

• Posted

Toronto lung Transplant program manual.....Look it up for information. It is a very detailed process but knowledge is key.  And study what your work insurance coverage can do for you. if you don't ask, they certainly will not offer advice.  I had to ask a million questions to get good coverage, in which I was entitled too. If your HR rep is doing their job, they should be able to direct you to some support. Take down names, numbers, date and time of all your calls and save any email messages in a folder. Anytime there is a staff change, suddenly previous info seems to get lost.  Be viligent with your communications.

• Posted

Are you in the UK or US?
    • Posted

I'm in uk ... I have heard of cases of people with cancer that have been declined that have been in last few months of living !! So not sure if I would get it x

• Posted

For UK - just put into your browser search engine, gov uk PIP and click on the .gov site link for more information.  PIP = Personal Independent Payment it replaces DLA.
  • Posted

• Posted

Sorry Shannon just seen your post , I’m in uk so don’t have private health insurance but thank you for your reply .. hope you are keeping well xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.