Can I claim pip even tho my son recieves DLA?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good morning, my son whom is only ten has high functioning autism and I claim for him DLA he recives the high rate, I work 16 hours a week, I'm currently off sick at the moment.

I suffer from dystonia this affects both my arms and hands ( uncontrollable shaking) which effects me a lot, I also have trigeminal neuralgia this causes severe pain in my head and face and teeth and has a huge impact on my life living with both of these diseases.

Would I be entitled to claim PIP?  Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

Your son recieving DLA wouldn't have any afffect on you claiming PIP.

PIP is about how those conditions affect you daily and not about a diagnosis. You'll need evidence to support your claim, dont rely on them contacting anyone because it's rare if they do.

I'd advice you having a look at the PIP descriptors to see where you can score those points. For an award it's about scoring points and you need at least 8 points in either or both parts for a Standard award and 12 points for Enhanced.

There's a online PIP test that you can do that will give you some idea what you could score. If you google search PIP self test then it will come up. Please remember that this test is only a guide and doesn't mean you'll score those points. Links can't be posted here, sorry.

If you decide you could score enough for an award then ring PIP to start your claim off. They'll ask you some quick and simple questions and then send you the form (book) to complete and return. You should send all your evidence with the form. Most people have a face 2 face assessment as it's rare to have a paper based decision. Time scales vary wilding depending on where in the country you live and the backlog.

• Posted

Hi Denise, thank you so much for your input. 

I will have ago at the online test to see if it's worth trying to go for it? 

Thank you 😊 

• Posted

my son gets dla and I get pip for myself so yes you can put in a claim for pip youll just need atlest 3 months of medical prof  to back up what your saying then its down to PIP after a f2f assessment 
    • Posted

Why at least 3 months of medical evidence? You can have as much or as little as you want, there's nothing saying you need at least 3 months. You must have had the condition for at least 3 months though, is that what you mean?

• Posted

PIP tells you you need atlest 3months of medical evderance to back up what your saying ei treatments medications etc  to see weather its consistent , personily I don't get why as I gave 6months worth and they still only throught my condistion would last another 6month which isn't the case with me

• Posted

That's not true. You need as much evidence as possible for a PIP claim. For a PIP claim your condition must also last a further 9 months at least, for an award to be given.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.