Can I come off warfarin so easily?

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI, everyone.

I take warfarin for antithronbin 3 deficiency and I have taking them for more than 20 years to prevent blood clot.

My mother got a blood clot in her lung and nearly died. She is on warfarin since then.

Recently I had a really heavy period for a month (!) and I was sent to A & E for blood transfusion.

My GP contacted to my hematologist and they said anemia is more concern than preventing blood clot and I can come off warfarin. (I was told this by GP over the phone. I didn't even see my hematologist.)

I cannot quite absorve this advice yet becausewhen I started taking warfarin, they told me my antithronbin 3 is less than half of normal (40%) and I am on high risk of blood clot if untreated.

I even have given up having a baby for this condition and now they tell me I don't need to take it.

They said I haven't had any blood clot, so it will be alright, but in my opinion I haven't had blood clot because I am on warfarin.

I understand severe anemia is also life threatning but blood clot could be also leathal.

Is there anyone who has come off warfarin because you haven't had any blood clot?

Do you think this advice is a good one?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Never give up on your dreams. Every child is precious and important in this world. If you want a baby make it happen, and look after your health. There are supplements and remedies you can try that may take longer to work for you, but are healthier.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.