Can I conceive after Myomectomy? I’m 39 :/ I don’t want a Hysterectomy:(

Posted , 6 users are following.

39 smile 2 kids 

3 fibroids- 1 is 6.8 centimeters 

Uterus: measuring 13 centimeters 

Rx:   Megestrol  40mg

Tranexamic Acid 650 mg 

Waiting on insurance for Lupron (3 month) 

Then..... surgery.

So much detail I’m leaving out about my personal life. 

My doctor said if he goes in to remove fibroids and my uterus is damaged he will have to remove it? 

So sad... 

Has anyone had similar experience 

Thanks so much smile 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I’m going through similar, 37 and 3 fibroids one big at 8-9cm intramural at the back of my uterus and pulling it down as well as my cervix. The other two are 3-4cm each. Currently taking Esmya because I’m too anemic to have surgery(so Surgeon says) so they wanted to stop my periods but it hasn’t stopped or lightened them. Surgeon is saying hysterectomy even though I was first referred to him in May after I lost my twins(I feel it was down to the fibroid growing and degenerating twice during the pregnancy) I’m hoping for a myomectomy(was booked until they saw blood results) but every Surgeon is trying to talk me out of it, saying it’s a massive op and traumatic. They’ve also said the scar tissue left might prevent me from getting pregnant after also(something I want) one Surgeon suggested UFE but I’ve read up on that before and it’s not really recommended for women who want to conceive unless it’s changed recently. Good luck I hope we both get our myomectomies. I’ll be watching this post for all the positive stories so I’m armed next time I see the Surgeons. 
    • Posted

I am really sorry to say but your surgeon has no idea what he is saying. The only way to operate fibroids and preserve fertility is either keyhole myomectomy or open. My advise is to get another opinion from a doctor who specializes in fibroids. The only damage can be done if the doctor is not skilled in either surgical options mentioned and will damage your uterus. 
    • Posted

Dear Carebear

So sorry to here about your experience so far with fibroids. You are not alone. But I just wanted to back up what camelia61043 just said. Your doctor is not informed at all, myomectomies are performed to RESTORE your fertility. I feel like hospitals in  the public sector try to get away with doing the most non invasive method in order to cut costs on operations and patient care afterwards .

• Posted

Can’t  agree more . It is the reason why I’m requesting a Hysterscopy shouldn’t they get to see what’s inside first ? 

Also he said it wasn’t necessary to do a transvaginal ultrasound prior to my Myomectomy in 3 months. I say 3 months because I have not started Lupron yet 

I want them to measure my fibroids before surgery . 

• Posted

Hey guys,

I feel for both of but all I can say is everything will be alright. Justus3 to answer your question about having kids after mymectomy Ofcoz it's possible that's what my doctor told me. Just pray that they will remove them without any complications then u will be fine. Am also 39 with no kids and gone thru mymectomy too 2wks now. Good luck darl

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I will continue following your journey and wish you all the best of luck !! Waiting on my insurance to approve my Lupron (scary) . I think it’s time for me to start thinking more positive. I have been so scared and nervous sad .. 

Thank you 

• Posted

Your uterus wont be damaged, the doctor may damage if not skilled. I had a keyhole surgery for a bigger fibroid than yours. Perhaps get another doctor 
  • Posted

Hey JustUs3!

I'm due to have open myomectomy in a few weeks and although it is a very scary thought; I know that it's the best decision for me.

Like some of the other ladies have already mentioned on here, myomectomy should "preserve" fertility and NOT damage the uterus. So you should be able to conceive better once the fibroids are out. I'd be weary of a gynaecologist that tells you that your uterus could get damaged during surgery. Although there are some risks associated with this surgery (like with all surgery) the benefits should always outweigh the risks.

I've been avoiding the surgery for years but my biological clock is ticking and I can't afford to waste time hoping that I'll conceive and carry a full term pregnancy with a uterus full of fibroids. I hope that you make the right decision for you. However I thought to myself "why keep fibroids in my uterus when they're not actually supposed to be there?"

Anyway I wish you lots and lots  of luck! I hope it all works out for you the way that you want it to. Stay blessed! x

• Posted

This is the most uplifting message I have read all week .. thanks so much and good luck with your surgery.. now past the fear and anxiety I want what I want and that is to get my anemia under control.. regulate my period .. then have the surgery smile .... wishing you all the best 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.