Can I do knee-bending physical therapy exercises 5 weeks after fractured patella?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a cast removed for a fractured non-displaced patella at 4 1/2 weeks. Now it’s 5 weeks and I’m just wearing a knee brace, but with no screws so I can bend my knee. The doctor said it’s healing well, so the cast wasn’t necessary anymore.

I started to do some physical therapy but only with my leg straightened (such as leg lifts and calf exercises.  

Is it okay to do light weight bearing pt exercises with a bent knee? My knee is really stiff, so I think I need to start doing full range of motion exercises, but I’m just not sure if it’s okay to fully bend my knee. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

A call to your surgeon should give you the answer you need.
    • Posted

You can say that about every question and comment on this website. If you don't want to say anything useful, just don't reply. As with everytbody who posts here, I'm looking for other people with similar experiences and how they dealt with my issue.

• Posted

I give the safest answer I know how to give based on the information supplied. Trying to find answers to situations that could be harmful and I would feel terrible if I suggested something that could be harmful as an end result. Mine is such a unique situation I wouldn't consider putting people in a difficult position when it comes to advice. When it comes to the unique and extremely unusual your Dr is the guy that needs to be put on the spot not well meaning people who might cause harm, then be reluctant to help out in the future. I guess its a case of getting what you pay for and if it doesn't come up to your expectations, just ignore it.

Again, my sincere apologies and I won't try to neither validate nor over ride any of your concerns in the future.

• Posted

Thank you for your concern.  I agree I should call my doctor, and I have an appointment with him in 10 days.  

In the meantime, I'm curious what physitherapy other people with a non-displaced patela fracture have done 5 weeks after the injury. All comments are welcomed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.