Can I drink after stopping Antabuse for 10 days?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been taking Antabuse 200mg  for 73 days. I want to stop taking it. Can I safely drink after 10 days without it ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Disulfurum (Antabuse), is an outdated and IMO dangerous drug.

Speaking from experience, I had an unpleasant reaction two weeks after I stopped taking it. Not as bad as eating a meal containing wine which ended up with me in hospital whilst taking Antabuse.

I am not medically qualified to give you advice, but based on my past experience, I’d give it at least 3 weeks. Other people may have different views.

Antabuse isn’t an anti craving drug. All it does is give you a potentially dangerous, and in some cases, fatal reaction.

I’m presuming you want to start drinking again, hence your question. If at some point you want to remain abstainant, then I’d highly recommend acamprosate (campral). It’s an anti craving drug, which if taken correctly, can be highly successful. It won’t work if you drink whilst taking it.

• Posted

I've heard of those that have had bad reactions even a couple of weeks after stopping it, but what you might want to consider is switching over to Naltrexone. That should help kill the craving for a bit until the Antabuse is out of your system, then you can switch over to using Naltrexone per The Sinclair Method (taking Naltrexone only when you drink, an hour before your first drink). That should keep your drinking from running away on you and eventually help move you towards being indifferent to alcohol. 

• Posted

And by the way, I'm not qualified to give medical advice either, but I suggest you research The Sinclair Method in any case. As Vickylou says, Antabuse doesn't stop craving and can be a very dangerous drug if your craving for alcohol pushes you to try to drink on the Antabuse. There are much better drugs out there for dealing with Alcohol Use Disorder and as Vickylou mentioned, Campral is a great one if you would prefer to be abstinent. 

• Posted

Hi Jo. I would think so but seek advice. Leaflet in the pack? Helpline or GP?
  • Posted

14 days is usually considered the safe cut off period. However, each person reacts differently. This is not medical advice.
  • Posted

I drank after 14 days after stopping this evil drug and ended in hospital sad

I wouldn't drink for 20 to be safe,,,and then I would find another way to stop.

• Posted

Hello, I'm being completely honest. I have been taking 250 mg antabuse for two weeks everyday. I was so hopeful and felt like I finally had something that can stop me from drinking. today I had a very bad day and figured I would try one beer and see what happened. I had two beers it felt slightly flushed and my heart pounded a bit fast. But then it stopped. I am on my 8th beer now. I have no faith in this. AA does not work for me. I tried for 2 years it's not for me. if someone could please tell me what I'm doing wrong I would appreciate it and God bless you all

• Posted

I've been on Antabuse 250mg daily 18 days. My Dr took me off it due to severe stomach pain day 15. I've been off AB 7 days drinking tons of water. I had 2 glasses of wine tonite. NO sickness, no fever, no chest pain. Nothing. I'm also on 2mg Ativan daily and did an otc mild colon cleanse w natural psyhllium past 2 days. I'm absolutely fine but as documented in the forums, each case is totally individual!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.