Can I exercise with overactive thyroid?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, just joined this group.

Today I was diagnosed with a overactive thyroid, dr is not putting me on meds yet, gotta go back in two weeks time for more blood tests to see if it comes down as it’s not massively over. Supposed to be 19 and I’m 25 whatever’s 😏

I want to get back into the gym after 2 months off but I’m getting mixed reviews on this, it being dangerous.

Went yesterday and I was knackered before I even started. Constant shaking/tremors.

Any advice would be appreciated 

Thanks Lisa xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa, My experience and advice: Before going back to exercise, (1) find out your actual condition (test numbers, etc), cause, and symptoms of hyperthyroidism, (2) consult with your doctor and endo for exercise guideline based on your condition, (3) if allowed and able, self-control volume of exercise as you can to minimize adverse effect. In my case (GD), I was forced (by my own feeling and mobile ability) to retire exercise (routine gym work-out and swimming) until back to euthyroid and energy restored (lay off time about 4 months). GL
    • Posted

Hi, I’m going to give it a break for a bit.

I went couple of days ago. I do gym work.

My heart was racing, shaking furiously.

Really tearey. 

Dr wants me to wait and see if it rectifies it’s self. Before giving meds. I’ve had a lot of stress and heartache recently.

Best friend died, I was with her when she died, she leaves behind a 12 year old daughter who I’m helping at moment.

Just shattered all time. 

• Posted

Hi lisa99066, how did you feel after going to the gym and are you OK now? It also depends on your individual routine at the gym, training time and intensity, type of exercises. Did you use equipment that measures your heart rate? Was your heart rate unusually high?
    • Posted

Didn’t feel great, shaking and heart racing. Frustrating as I used to be so fit.

Hopefully it will get better.

Thanks

Lisa 

• Posted

Shaking and heart pounding. Going to stop for while.
    • Posted

I used to be fit and active then all of a sudden I was constantly tired and revved up at the same time. Trying to shake off the tiredness by exercising made things worse as my muscles became sore and never really recovered until I was on anti-thyroid medication and my thyroid level normalised.  

Don't worry too much at this point. It will get better with treatment. Like Mike wrote above, first, your doctors have to find out what the cause of your hyperthyroidism is. 

After you feel somewhat better you can get active again. Instead of aerobic exercise (running, ellipticals, spinning), you could try alternatives like tai chi or gentle yoga.  

• Posted

Hey, Dan. Good idea! Since laying off gym workout due to GD, I started to do taichi (beginner) at home and not only felt wonderful but regained some strength also.

Lisa, Don't be discouraged because of gym workout stop. Do some alternative and be relaxed (as some experienced hyper patient, healed, states that to be recovered from hyper, 12 hours of rest per day, not including sleep, are required). Try every way you can to avoid and dismiss stress upon you. Try listening music (no heavy metal pls) is another good way to go. GL

• Posted

Thanks guys, I’ve had lots of stress and heartache recently. I watched my best friend die of alcohol abuse, was with in hospital all the way till the end. She leaves behind a 12 year old daughter who I am helping come to terms with her mums death. I am a caring person and always there to help people but now I’m gonna look after me.

Some fab advice that I’m definitely going to take on board👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.