Can I get compact oxygen tanks for chronic lung problems?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My mum suffers from Alveolitus and often struggles to catch her breath. Her oxygen tank provided by the NHS is quite big and heavy. She has asked at the hospital and they claim there is nothing more portable, but I'm sure I have seen people with smaller units and even on wheels. If anyone knows how or where I can find such a thing I would love to hear from you. There is not much I can do to help my mum, if I could just get hold of a smaller version she might have a new lease of life. Thanks in advance

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hmm yes there are smaller bottles, it's called Ambulatory Oxygen Therapy, she's best talking to her Consultant rather than trying to argue with random jobs worths on the phone smile
  • Posted

Thanks, I will look them up. I suspect NHS funding is an issue too. Would you know if there are any real risks associated with the Oxygen compression units sold privately. I would be prepared to pay for something but worried that it's not up to medical standard and unregulated. Thanks again for the quick response.
  • Posted

They're expensive things, especially new, and servicing and hygiene,, it's a bit of a quagmire, you need professional advice beyond the scope of here :[
  • Posted

Hi Santropik there are smaller cylinders than the standard 400 litres that are issued routinely to oxygen patients, they are reserved for use by frail (elderly) and children who can not carry the normal cylinder. My supplier give me 300's which are carried on my rollator when walking. Talk with your mothers oxygen nurse about different options that can be used without having to spend money buying your own machine. The advice may be beyond the scope of those unfamiliar with oxygen use but do not give up with your efforts that help your mother improve her quality of life.
  • Posted

Can you get trolleys that put it on wheels and help mum when it is heavy for her carrying a big tank
  • Posted

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to look up the trolley idea and persist with the nurses. Not seeing consultant for a while. Have a good weekend everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.