Can i get withdrawal from Citalopram poop out???

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was on Citalopram 10mg for 4 years and then incresed to 20mg for 3 years for anxiety, now

suddenly as soon as i take a tablet i am getting symptoms much like withdrawal....Numb tingling

face/lips, brain zaps, tiredness aching muscles. Could the Citalopram have stopped working or

could i have suddenly developed an allergy to it???

I really need to sort this out as feeling pretty bad.....the only upside is that before meds i would have been having panic attacks and letting the anxiety take over but actually managing that side ok.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Many thanks in advance x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'd speak to your gp if I was you, while you wait for a reply. Someome on here will respond that's the great thing about this forum. Are you taking any other meds?

• Posted

Only other meds i take are renetidine for hiertus hernia and have been on them for around 10 years , I have spoken to my doctor and just said drop to 10mg and then wean off them and if i still need something he will give me different meds 

thanks

• Posted

Hi Bibsys

can i ask have you started a new brand of citalopram, is it made by someone else rather than the one you usually have

The reason i ask this is that like  you i was fine for several years, then suddenly i started getting withdrawal symptoms for approx 2 weeks a month, then i would feel ok for 2 weeks, then sometimes it would start again.

What my pharmacist found out is that during the time when i felt i was getitng the withdrawal symptoms i was given another brand of citalopram and he suggested that somthing in the fillers or coatings of the tablets didn't agree with me and it was like i was starting taking citalopram for the first time every time i got a different brand of tablets.

Sandoz was the worst it was really bad and i felt unwell all day, Bristol Labs brand is fantastic for me, no side effects at all so my pharmacists tried to make sure i got the same brand of tablets each month, but as he couldn't guarantee this as it depended what was in the wholesalers at the time i decided to stop taking them.

Now this has worked out great for me, as during the reduction phaze of the tablets i was on the right brand and i have reduced down to nothing in approx 6 weeks with minimal withdrawals.

Infact i have been off them for 10 days now and am doing fantastic, at first i couldn't understand what was happening to me, but then i googled different brands of generic citalopram and realised i wasn't the only one who had this problem.

So maybe this is happening to you, or it could be something else and i would suggest you see your gp

Juliex

• Posted

Hi I have spoken to my doctor a couple of times (clearly too busy to actually see me) and he said it probably the citalopram and to reduce to 10mg straight away then reduce down and if i still need some after i come off them he will prescribe me different ones.

I have reduced down to 10mg a couple o weeks ago and the symptoms have actually eased but are still there. 

Will definitly check the brands have i have noticed over the years i often get different brands so could be that 

Thanks guys

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.