Can I have a few alcoholic drinks with venlafaxine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just wondered if anyone here has ever drank alcohol with venlafaxine? I tried to google it but it says conflicting things. I used to drink now and then on citalopram and it was totally fine, but I know venlafaxine is a different type of drug and works in a different way. I don't want to drink loads, just like 5 - 8 drinks as I'm going out tonight with the family and want to kill my social anxiety. I hope you can help xxx 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have alcohol and as long as you don't have too much you should be ok

• Posted

Great thank you so much Venny smile Yeah I'm just going to take it easy, maybe drink one or two and see how it goes.. if I'm ok after an hour maybe I will have a 3rd or 4th smile Thank you

• Posted

Ha!!! 5-8 drinks is still a lot under any circumstance. Not judging you, I'm sorry if it sounds like that. But I wouldn't have that many. I have had 2 drinks every night for the last 10 days on vacation and I'm okay. But I know that sometimes your anxiety can kick in high gear because alcohol is a depressant and you're taking an anti depressant. Good rule is to not drink on anti depressants or any medication that says you shouldn't.

• Posted

Hi Tammy, yes you are right 5 - 8 drinks is a lot! I will definitely drink less. I really appreciate your advice. Thank you smile xxx
    • Posted

Hi there. I didn't want to sound like I was judging you. I know that if we start a cycle of bad habits to loosen up when we got out, we're not really addressing the problem.... And the end result is something worse than what we started with. Just keep working on getting better!!!

• Posted

Hey Tammy,

No no I 100% didn't think of it as you were being judgmental at all, I promise. I know you were just concerned and rightly so as drinking that much on a new medication is definitely a very bad idea. I'm glad you gave me that wake up as I would have drank loads and it could have caused problems to my liver, brain etc. I am going to take it easy and just have a few at most. You are also right about getting into bad habits. Thanks for messaging me again, u helped me realize xxxx

JJ

• Posted

Ok good!!! Exercise, breathe, pray. Just been looking into increasing my serotonin levels in my body, in my brain specifically. If you Google it, you'll be happily surprised how we can. It's very hopeful, especially in light of not knowing how medication will work for us. And for us anxiety and depression sufferers, serotonin is major thing for us and we are all low in it. Vigorous exercise is also a must for us. Anyway, let us know how you're doing, and let me know what you think about the science behind increasing the serotonin levels. I'm going to work at this! It's gotta be a lifestyle change too for me. For all of us really. We can get stuck in a rut when this happens to us, it can become a vicious cycle.

• Posted

Hi Tammy, yes I agree exercise is a huge part of feeling good. Also from what I have read around 90% of serotonin is made in the gut, I found that odd haha, but apparently it's true. So by increasing/feeding out good gut bacteria, we can increase our serotonin. Foods that feed good bacteria are, fermented foods, oats, greens and generally healthy non processed foods (not always easy to do, but I'm improving on this all the time). But yes I totally agree with the exercise also!! Are you starting to get into exercise? xx

• Posted

Hi. I've been reading so much about all of this. Here's the thing, I'm 53, and I just had blood work done today to find out where I am hormonally. I had a hysterectomy over a year ago and even though I have my ovaries, I just don't know, can't tell, what's going on with me. Which, apparently is a huge thing for women and depression and anxiety. So.... Too much info, sorry. But there it is. And yes, I'm getting back into exercise. I used to run and ride my bike all the time but I had a bad knee injury 16 years ago. Six surgeries later and finally last year, a knee replacement (how about me having that one month after my hysterectomy), I'm finally able to run on the treadmill but not on the road so much. Riding my street bike and walking are all things I love to do now that I can do it without pain.

So fermented foods.... Does that include those drinks, kambacha (sp)???? My daughter drinks those a lot. I hate them. But yes, we eat a lot of chicken and fish. I'm going to have to do the vitamin route as well. I might hear about my results later today but most likely tomorrow. 🤞

Be well!

• Posted

I can imagine it must be really really difficult having a hysterectomy, I have heard it takes a long time to recover. I hope you have recovered well x That's great to hear your knee is ok now and you can run smile That must feel amazing!! You can take probiotics if you don't want to have the drinks, they are just little tablets, like one a day smile So when you say results are you having your vitamin levels checked? Yeah maybe it's worth getting a multi vitamin, I take one everyday and had my levels checked a few months back and the only thing l was low on was vitamin D. So I have to take an extra vitamin for vitamin D. I hope your results are good! xx

• Posted

Hi. Oh, the actual dreams I had about running. Running track, running in my neighborhood.... Jumping rope. Feels good not to worry about instability anymore!!

I got my results back! First thing, I take synthryoid for an underactive thyroid. Well I have too much of it now and I have to decrease my dose. This could be one of the major reasons for my anxiety. My metabolic, CBC, etc. All normal. Lipid panel good. BUT, I'm definitely in menopause. Which is another major reason for the anxiety and depression.

Today was actually very good. Worked 1/2 day (I only work one day a week anyway). Gardened at home, gardened at church this evening. Came home and did more yardwork with my husband. Played with the dog. I actually felt normal.

Going shopping tomorrow. Getting some B vitamins. 6 & 12. And going to get kefir (fermented drink). Going to attack this and fight back. I'm not going to just rely on pills to feel better.

That being said, I'm still going to take my Effexor XR. Once the synthryoid is lowered and after about 6 weeks, I have to test again. If I feel no anxiety, then I won't do the increase of Effexor XR 75mg to 150mg.

PS. No vitamin testing. If so, they didn't tell me and everything there must be normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.