Can I have some advice.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I am desperate to get some advice on my alcohol issue so any information would be appreciated. I have just turned 28. I have had an issue with my drinking for 2/3 years. It started off slowly imaginable to help with my anxiety and now it's become really high. I am drinking between 8units being the lowest to 15/17 units being the highest. I occasionally go over to the 20 units once a month if I am out partying.

I started though a hard time. It helped with my anxiety which I have had now over 7 years. I have been on steraline a antidepressant 25mg for 3/4 months which helped with my anxiety drastically, but as I started to feel in anxious due to the medication I became more social-able which meant more drinking.

I don't suffer any major withdrawals in the day, I am an evening drinker but i do get anxiety. My main reason for concern is if I just stop drinking something bad will happen to me. I'm almost starting now to to become obsessed with looking for signs of withdrawal, it's making me really miserable. I have been to my GP in the past about it but was told to seek alcohol support which I did but found it only to be talking therapy.

My mother was a chronic alcoholic when I was growing up and I don't want drinking to affect me the way it did her. Can anybody offer peace of mind to be how I can tackle this?

Thanks so much.

I don't

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Read about The Sinclair Method, Mell27. This is the best method available in the world for treating alcohol addiction. It has a 78% success rate according to the research (although I have seen 100% success rate with the 14 patients I have used it with.) It is NOT a `talking therapy, it is a medical treatment in the form of pills.
    • Posted

Ok Paul. I will do and thank you for your reply. Is this a book or online? Where can I find it?

Many thanks

• Posted

Paul I failed to mention that I work in health care so prescription drugs from the GP would be an issue in gaining sad
    • Posted

It's all over the Net. Look for the video 'One Little Pill' which you will have to pay to buy and download but it doesn't cost much. Also, the book 'The Cure For Alcoholism' by Roy Eskapa which you can get as an ebook to read on phone, tablet or computer. Those are two of the best resources and there are also very informative websites like C Three Europe (search for that as this post will be delayed from going live if I put a link in it) dedicated to The Sinclair Method.
    • Posted

You should not be discriminated against if there is an alcohol issue on your health records. I have been a nurse since 1984 and, at no time, have my medical records been checked when applying for a job (although I have had to have chest x-rays for some).
    • Posted

That's fantastic Paul thank you. So I don't need any prescription medication? Will stay up to read tonight. Thanks again
    • Posted

You would, yes. A drug called Nalmefene or Naltrexone. Have a read first and see how it works.
    • Posted

I have been told and reading things differently. I am a third year student nurse and when I went to my GP for advice they wanted to contact my university to see if they were aware of my alcohol consumption. This is when I lost all faith with the GP services and started lying about how much I was consuming. Do you think anything bad will happen to me if I just spend all week reducing then stopping altogether?
    • Posted

That is a serious breach of confidentiality. Change GP immediately and I would consider informing your local Primary Care Trust about this.

You may need an alcohol detox. If you try cutting down and find that you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, you MUST drink to stop those. Alcohol detox consists of medication being given to counteract alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Without this medication, some people's withdrawal symptoms can be very serious and it is possible for people to die from alcohol withdrawal if they are drinking very large amounts.

As far as I know, an alcohol problem doesn't mean that you cannot practice as a nurse. I have detoxed a number of nurses whose employers have been well aware of their issues. I also treated a lad who later successfully applied to do his mental health nurse training and I wrote a supporting letter to go with his application.

You can TRY reducing over a week or so but don't take any risks, Mell27. I am sending you a private message with my phone number in. Call me if you need to talk about any of this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.