Can I heal naturally?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear all

I had a fistula diagnosed, followed by months of denial- which developed into an abscess- I had an I&D procedure told this would resolve my issue. That was 16th Oct. I since have had MRI and told I still have fistula. TODAY  told I need to either have a Seton or cut open (i think 🤔 it’s called a fisulotomy?!) which may leave me incontenant - is this the case I am so worried.  I am desperate to heal over naturally...guess I am looking for reassurance? Like all of us in here.

I have found Manuka Honey helps keep infection at bay (kills bacteria that antibiotics can’t touch scientists have proven this) and am now having baths with 100% salt water lavender and t-tree only a little as had read it can be very stringent.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello

It depends on what you mean by naturally. Myself and a growing number of other people have been able to heal by changing their diet but it depends on your own situation how much work that would involve.

Most people seem to be able to heal within three months by increasing their intake of vegetables. Cutting out sugar, cigarettes, alcohol and processed foods. Some still have fruit but try to keep to 20% fruit and 80% veg. Some say stick to a completely plant based diet but I still have fish and a little meat. 

What you are doing above is good if you find the honey works for you, for me this is just an irritant.

But you should still follow medical advise, but if you can delay it slightly to give yourself a chance to see if diet will help then it is worth a try.

I hope you find the right 'natural' solution for you and are well soon. 

• Posted

Hi Danni- i think it is quite rare, but yes, it is possible to heal without surgery because I did! However you should discuss options with your doctor as doing nothing can cause the condition to worsen in some cases. It also depends how big the fistula is & in what position. Mine was relatively asymptomatic so the consultant gave me the go ahead to wait & see what happened - at the time I was just relieved that it was a benign condition, & felt I could live with this little spot that flared up occasionally. I don't really know what I did especially to allow healing - I don't know anything about Manuka honey but I used Sudocrem, salt baths, have a healthy diet with no sugar & lots of fruit/veg & protein, and do loads of exercise. I am very active - I hardly ever sit down!! Going back to what your doctor has said about incontinence- Yes, surgery always carries that risk & they have to tell you that,but there are lots of success stories out there. (A surgeon would only perform just a fistulotomy on a low, simple fistula). Make sure you are clear about the procedure & the risks before deciding, so ask lots of questions. If you are unhappy you can always ask for a second opinion (or third opinion, as I did!) Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.