Can i increase my setraline while in lamotrigine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am on 50mgs of setraline and 100mgs of lamotrigine. I was taken off citalopram and put on the setraline in february. I dont feel any better and have some very dark days. Im awaiting a psychiatrist appointment as ive not seen him for 4 years. I feel the 50mg of setraline is not enough? Thanks in advance for any help 😊

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes well that wasnt the right medication for you wasn it? that is obvious. I expect you know you have to try probably heaps before you find one that suits and heaps of combinations. I take  150mg lamotrigine a day gabapebtin and wellbutrin reasonably effectively and have for years. I got no good out of citolopram either or any srri's.

• Posted

Its a constant battle. I have been on fluoxetine and citalopram to no avail. Ive been very very low for about 3 months now. I was off sick for 6 weeks as i got very overwhelmed and couldn't cope. Some days are just horrible and i have silly thoughts. I just want to wake up one day feeling rested and ready to cope. Onwards and upwards i guess. I increased my setraline today to 100mg.

• Posted

Hi,

Theoretically - yes, you can. Lamotrigine has a different mechanism of action when compared with sertraline; also both drugs are metabolised by entierly different enzymes, so there would be no interactions there. However, a wiser thing to do would be to see a GP/pdoc and maybe ask for the change of medications? If you don't feel any better on 50 mg, you are unlikely to respond to 100 mg. If citalopram did not help either, trying SNRI (venlafaxine or duloxetine) would be the next logical step forward.

• Posted

Thanks john. I am eagerly awaiting an appointment on the 29th of may. I have been waiting a year! My gp up until about 3 months ago refused to change my meds because they were prescribed by the psychiatrist. But when i hit a crisis point in feb he changed me from 40mg citalopram and 100 mgs of lamotrigine to 50mgs of setraline and 100mgs of lamotrigine. He said it should hopefully help in thr interim of getting to see the psychatrist. I also got sleeping tablets but they did not work at all and just made me feel groggy the following day. I took 100mgs of setraline this morning instead of 50. I know i shouldn't have but i have some really stressful situations coming up and feel i cant cope now so was trying to help myself for the coming months. I never had any side effects today really. Although this is a strange question but does anto depressants make you yawn? I do it constantly all day every day regardless of how much sleep ive had. Thank you

• Posted

Hi,

'but does anto depressants make you yawn' - Yes, this side effect commonly occurs during the initial 4-6 weeks of treatment and then disappears. This means that the drug works - it inhibits the serotonin transporter. Also be careful here - the increased dose of sertraline may make you feeling tired and yet unable to sleep. This is also a side effect that should eventually disappear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.