Can i just stop taking 20ml of citalopram after 9 days

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ihave never taken any tablets before started these nine days ago and they make me really bad,they make me shake inside and hands now shaking outside my heart seems out of ryhem not much sllep really dont like the way they make me feel can i just stop taking them. thank you for any advice

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI Glenys

First of all, what you are experiencing is completely normal, horrid as it is. Try and persevere because it does calm down eventually. Some say 3 weeks, other say a lot longer. It's trying to rewire your brain!!!  With me, it was about 3 weeks really bad and then when I had to increase my dosage, I experienced it all over again!  I also took more then I should one day, by accident, and was a mess for another week so they aren't pretty potent drugs!

if you decide to come off,  personally I would not just stop taking them. They are in your system now so I would cut it down over a few weeks by cutting the tablets into quarters, starting at 20, then 15 etc.  I have come off these tablets in the past and the only symptom I had then was a dizzy head for a few weeks but others say they get all sorts of symptoms x

• Posted

I totally agree with Debbie. It takes time. I know it's awful. But it does take time. Talk to your dr, but maybe reduce your milligrams for a week or two get adjusted then increase again. It will take longer but the side effects won't be as bad.

• Posted

Hi Glenys.

You poor bub. I was on them for two days. According to the E.R one pill takes about 36 hours to leave the body. My side effects where like yours and it included me being in the hospital as well.

Go to your gp and they will advise the correct way to come off them after 9 . I just stopped and I do not regret it. I've decided to take the alternate route and try supplements instead. Tyrosine, Gaba food. And I feel much better. I hope it works for you.

• Posted

Hi Roxy and everyone for replying phoned hospital wk end as could not take no more and was told to stop them which i did last night just got to see how I go going to go back to my gp,but going to go down the herbal route Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.