Can I kneel on my PKR?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I had a PKR 9 months ago, and i want to know is it safe to kneel on my bed with that knee?

Will I damage anything? Should I kneel on a pillow or a soft blanket? Ladies, HELPPP😊

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Talk to your surgeon for an opinion. Some say 6 months, others a year and others never. Kneeling puts a tremendous strain on the joint and the pain of being on your knee can be be difficult to handle. You definatemy want foam or a pillow if you decide to attempt. Everyone IS different so depend on yourself, not others as an example.
  • Posted

Hi Sassy... As old F guy said, talk to your doctor as everyone is different. I can say after 6 months post TKR, I kneel on my bed all the time without any pain or problems. If you decide to try, I definitely would use a pillow at first and go slowly. Apply pressure slowly and if it gets to painful than stop doing it. From my conversation with my Doctor, you shouldn't expect and damages to the knee. But again, check with your doctor first. Good luck...

• Posted

HI !

Had partial 8 1/2 months . I do kneel occasionally on bed , and sometimes sorta kneel when on floor with grandkids and it's fine . Yesterday I tried kneeling gently while working out. I did it but hurt after and all day . I was concerned something had happened. By end of night and now this morning it's fine .

I will make Dr apt and just check on few things , kneeling being one . He did say though that I would be able to kneel although I don't remember the time frame .

We are at same post op time how are you doing overall?

Debbie

• Posted

Some people will never be able to kneel on their 'new' knee.  Others will have no problems. It all depends on the person. When I first tried to kneel on my bed, it hurt, so I quit. I would try on other surfaces with a kneeling pad or pillow and sometimes it was OK, other times not so much. After almost 2 years PO, I kneel very carefully and always with padding of some kind under my knee. It all depends on the person. My surgeon was very surprised that I could kneel...but he said if it didn't bother me, then go ahead and kneel. It may be different for a PKR though. I had a TKR 2 years ago, come this April. In either case, PKR or TKR, I would use a pad of some sort. Hope this helps. OFG, gives good advise. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.