Can I push for tests?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this and could not even have hypothyroidism so please bare with me! I was tested for diabetes at the doctors, came back clear however I have suspected hypothyroidism with a TSH aid 6.5. Makes sense to me as I have spent my entire life feeling exhausted. However my doctor says he needs to test my antibodies and some other bits to confirm if any treatment is required, but I was told to wait 2 months for another blood test incase it was a 'blip'. It's been a month and I am so exhausted, I am sleeping 8 hours at night and napping for 3 hours a day as I can't stay awake. It's gotten to the point where I'm sleeping on the couch so my dog isn't alone all the time! I feel like this isn't normal? Can I go back to my doctor and ask for the test now? Or is it completely necessary? He kind of made me feel silly when I said I was tired before and that he wouldn't expect any symptoms from someone with a TSH of 6.5.

Thank you for any advice!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, fairly new to this myself, but I understand "normal" TSH is between 0.4 and 4 so yes a TSH of 6.5 would indicate hypothyroidism, but I guess as it's close to what is deemed normal they are wanting to retest to ensure other factors are not affecting the result. Are you having any other symptoms other than fatigue ? Do push though as it took 2 years before I was taken serious enough to even have the blood test, ended up with a TSH of 22 and unnecessarily poorly. Rapid Weight gain and fatigue where my initial symptoms.

• Posted

Thank you, I have weight gain also but not terribly. I was diagnosed with vertigo a few years ago although now found that this could just be a symptom of thyroid problems. I also have mild scoliosis and the pain I have in my back doesn't seem to add up with how minor the curve is, and I have heard that muscle pain could be a symptom too. I've been treated for depression in recent years too. It's the fatigue that's the killer though, it's so hard to just do day to day things!

• Posted

All could be potential symptoms, I myself have vertigo or at least dizzy spells ,very low moods mixed with anxiety and muscular pain, still fatigued but since starting levothyroxine its improved, some days better than others. Do you have a basal temperature thermometer at all ?
    • Posted

So the tablets seem to help? That's good news! No I don't, what would that be used for?

• Posted

Sure, I think the Meds can affect some people in different ways - to be honest I'm having a few new strange feelings again not sure if it's the meds, most likely though I'm not on a high enough dose yet. But it's a gradual thing. I think at your TSH level you will need meds and won't improve without them. In regards to basal temp took this from google "An average BBT between 97.8 and 98.2 is considered normal. Temperatures from 97.6 to 98.0 degrees Fahrenheit are considered evidence of possible hypothyroidism, temperatures less than 97.6 degrees can be even more indicative of hypothyroidism"

• Posted

Most people do okay with a TSH around 1, so you are definitely in the hypothyroid zone and your doctor is an idiot. Testing for antibodies is only intended to verify whether you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis where the immune system attacks the thyroid, but that is only one version of thyroid disease and so a negative antibodies test absolutely doesn't rule out hypothyroidism. 

With a TSH around 6 and the symptoms you have you should be getting medicated right away. The problem is that many doctors really don't understand this disease. Could you get referred to an endocrinologist?

And of course you are depressed, feeling the way you do, who wouldn't? Been there. Don't give up! 

• Posted

Thank you, it's so difficult when you have no idea. I rang a different doctor around a year ago with this in mind and she didn't even recommend a blood test due to my age (23) and at the time I was a very healthy weight, and she said it would be very unlikely, so I just left it at that! I will call my doctor again and ask to have the test sooner as I really think being treated could change my life. Thank you!

• Posted

Agree with Dave's comment, it's good they are doing an antibody test, however it won't change the fact you need treating. I also don't see why you would need to wait 2 months for this ? This is to rule out Hashimotos an autoimmune disorder it doesn't change the fact your TSH is elevated. Let me know how you get on !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.