can i really not go swimming

Posted , 6 users are following.

i think i have Ls i was treated for a few water infections but i did notice a small white spot on my vulva i didnt take any notice off it but it wasn't untill towards end of December i asked the doctor to take a look down there and she said that it was litchen sclerosus.

she gave me 1% hydrocortisone ointmnet and dermol cream, at the time i had no itchyness etc but recently i have had itcyness i dnt think the ointment i have been given is working...

i have been to the doctor again and another doctor has had a look and has said it could be Ls i asked to be referred to get a confirmation. i am only 26 and she said it is odd for someone of my age to have this.

i do think i may have anemia so it could be linked i will mention this when i see them. i am off on holiday in June and again in July and love being in the water so im not gonna let it stop me.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Why wouldn't you be able to go swimming? I've never heard of that being the case - I swim!
  • Posted

Hi there,

I have also been trying to cope with LS. I am being treated with Clobetasol and advised to wash with only Dermol 500. The doctor also told me to avoid swimming until the inflammation was brought down as I think the chlorine could aggravate it. She did say that if I was to apply a layer of e45 or diprobase (diprobase is better for me personally) that it should protect my skin and it would be ok to swim - so you might want to try that if you are keen to go swimming! Don't let it hold you back :-) I also wonder if swimming in the sea would be good...salt can be quite healing but who knows?

I am 29 and have had this now for a couple of years, from reading around I think it is probably more common that the statistics show as people (patients and health professionals) often suspect the problem is reccurrent thrush - at least in my experience this is true - went through countless checks before being told it was LS!

• Posted

I believe there are lots of people your age that have LS. Many people, I bet ,have it but not yet diagnosed. I developed mine when I was 18. Very little was known about it and all that dermatologist said was that I had dis coloring of the skin on my body. I itched for years until a different dermatologist and my GYNO diagnosed it and prescribed a strong steroid ointment. I've been swimming all of my life!
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

Please do not be put off swimming, as you can always use a barrier cream if you are worried that the salt water will be painful. Life must go on, so live it the full!

Horses

• Posted

Thankyou everyone, yeah i will not let it stop me from swimming but yes sounds like a good idea tho applying barrier cream before hand. Yea the salt water may also help never know could cure it.... wishfull thinking.

I have a few ideas to what maybe causing this for me but will have to see what happens.

• Posted

a quick question but how long does the soreness usally last just that its been sore for a couple off week now just wondered how long it takes to heal.
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

I would be interested to know what you think might be causing your LS? I am continually going over all the things that happened around the time mine seemed to 'kick off' and for me, I am sure it was due to my body being under a lot of stress. I was going through a tough time at work and had been feeling very low for a long time. I also suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome - I think also linked to being a worrier and so my body is often in a continual 'stress' mode which probably doesn't help!

I have noticed that usually my flare ups start about a week before my period is due, so I am sure LS is hormonally linked and then once my period comes I don't notice the soreness (I don't know if that's because the period pain takes over or not!!)

So I think generally for me the main flare up is for between 1-2 weeks each month - at least the steroid cream does seem to give me some relief at night! I hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I expect it depends very much on the individual. I have been sore for weeks as well and have been asking myself the same question!!! Sorry not to be able to give any quick answers.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Well i do not have periods due to the contraception i take. I also think that if i do suffer with anemia this could also be triggering it and why i have maybe got ls. my soreness started after sex! without being graphic here but its sore around the clit.!

i also have a gum problem aswell which i have read somewhere could be a link so kind off trying to eliminate at these things.

Thankyou.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.